The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older Doe (8 years) who is just being one heck of a hard keeper this year. She came down with a heavy worm load right after she kidded (bottle jaw, severe anemia, the whole nine yards). I have gotten all of that taken care of but I am having a hard time getting weight back on her. She has free choice mixed hay, I'm feeding free choice 18% goat grower pellets with boss and calf manna mixed in. I'm really AT&T a loss as to what else to do for her.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Id dry her up. But id also watch her eat. If she isnt eating much then it could be a tooth issue and they may need to be floated. If she is eating like a demon but putting on no weight, it could be something like Johnes.

·
Super Moderator
58,870 Posts
It does take a long time to get weight back on. If everything is good and she is eating well, then I think it will just take time.

You could even add some alfalfa pellets to what you are already giving her. But what you are giving her should put the weight back on.

If you do a search, there was someone who got weight back on with rice bran.

·
Super Moderator
58,870 Posts
She doesn't look horrible but does look like she could use some weight. With everything she has been through and her age, I think it is going to take longer. I would do something like weekly B Complex shots too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts