The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 does, Raz was born March 7 and Fortune was born March 13. So they aren't very much apart but almost a week. There is a big difference in weight between the two though. Raz just looks thin, doesn't have the muscle and thickness that the other has. I feed purina goat chow with excel show feed along with power phat and unlimited alfalfa. She was going to be a show doe but when we get to the shows I get so discouraged I don't even enter her. I drench her with an ounce of dyne (fatty supplement) every day. This is how I got fat on my market wethers, but I have seen no change in her. I've been giving bcomplex and probios to get her to eat more. What can I do for her?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes our fecals check for cocci. We did one on another goat at a different farm that was pos for cocci last week. I hate to waste her and just use her as a "companion" but what kind of quality babies will she have in this condition. Know what I mean? I spent so much on her too, so frustrating!

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
You have to remember what the parents looked like. Maybe the one's parents or one of them are on the leaner side. If that is the case you can't do much about it.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't even know what they look like honestly. Every time I bring it up I don't get a reply and I can't find them anywhere online!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Whenever my goats look thin I give them beet pulp it works very well for me. I sometimes give them rice bran I mix it with water so it becomes a Paste and let them eat it, if you don't mix it with water it will swell up in their mouth an choke them but I definatly recommend the beet pulp. :)

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay y'all, I'm at my breaking point here. This goat WILL NOT eat! Temp, eye color, pee, poop is great. She's bouncing off the walls. But why not eating!? Can I skip a feeding and see if that helps? I started injecting the b12 but so far nothing..

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
How much does she actually eat per feeding? Is there any competition that she might feel fearful to eat?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In the morning they get about 5 lbs to share then I pen her up at night and she gets about 2 ish. She doesn't even eat at night though. That's why I penned her up at night bc during the day she is with another goat but they don't fight over food

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
Is she really underweight or just not where you want her to be? If her genetics make her a slow grower, there isn't much you can do about that.

You can always do things like put a little safflower oil on her grain once a day. If she likes it, she may eat it better.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts