The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I am at a loss. I have a 6 year old Boer cross that is in distress. Currently she is panting through her nose (not heat related, record cold last week, actually) x 2 days.

she has recently (3 months or so) dropped 40 - 50% of her weight. Over the Spring I dosed her with a copper bolus, her conjunctiva were white.

I have wormed her and for the last two weeks we have been dosing with dexamethazone (1.5ml, SQ, QDay) and LA Penicillin (2ml QOD). We have been doing this for 2 weeks now. The dexamethazone improved her appetite (before she would eat, but not voraciously) and her affect (she had been depressed - this seemed to help).

Prior to this (3-4 weeks ago) we had a fecal run and blood work done. Fecal came back clean, no need for additional dewormers. Blood work was "off" some. My vet (not a regular goat vet, but one that works with me) had her blood sent to IDEXX to check for Johnne's Disease. The work came back negative. But, the rest of the blood work is all over the place.

we were dosing twice a week with Vitamin B injection (since DC'd) and probiotics. We are also dosing with Magic cell QOD.

She is getting alfalfa and a good grass hay, Calf Manna, sweet feed and rolled oats, she has baking soda, mineral supplements and treats (anything, really, trying to get weight on her).

She wasn't interested in cooked oatmeal with molasses, oatmeal with ground alfalfa and molasses, drench, vitamin water, shredded beet pulp - nothing. She is wearing one of my tee shirts and a sweatshirt (she weighs 69 pounds).

i sent a copy of her blood work to UCDavis, they politely said they wouldn't talk to me.

Attached are her results. If anyone has any suggestions, I am open to them. Someone did mention once that she could have swallowed a wire (apparently cows do it, too)... Has anyone had experience with this?

Thank you in advance, even if it's just for prayers.

Lori

Attachments

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are there any other vets that you could talk to? Maybe UC Davis doesn't like to give free advice.
Around here, probably not. None that understand that they are my pets, anyway. Most people have livestock, me? I got pets. This doe was my first bottle baby. She is special to me.

As i was writing that post I did begin to wonder if it is a hemolytic crisis (from a possible overdose of copper. Note to self and others: Don't even bother with the digital scales from Wal-Mart), but I would have thought it would have presented before now (dosed 9 July).

If you have any suggestions, please feel free to throw them this way.

Thanks.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
as i type i have a girlfriend (cattle girl) who is texting the bloodwork to her vet. her suggestion is an x-ray, too. Hopefully she'll make it to tomorrow. Her breathing seems a bit easier, but very little rumen noises...

i appreciate all of your input. I really, really do.

will let you know more as i know more. Probably won't be until after work tomorrow.

keep your fingers crossed, please.

Lori

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello kind people,

Latest word is that there's a vet coming tomorrow to check her. i have all her blood work and testing in hand. Maybe, just maybe, she'll have a new perspective and be able to say 'yay or nay' to her continued care.

all i can do at this point is trust the Creator and accept what comes.

Than you all for your input. I will post whatever comes of this.

Lori

· Super Moderator
36,704 Posts
My thought was cancer as well...sudden weight loss, loss of appitite, difficult breathing...An xray would be a good idea...

Best wishes

· Super Moderator
16,973 Posts
Ohh I sure hope its something they can cure. As others have said cancer comes to mind. We had a cow recently that acted like this we just couldn't figure it out. We threw the towl in and sent her to beef packers. They sent us a letter saying they tanked her.....we were confused so called them and she had cancer. I so have my fingers crossed we are thinking along the wrong line.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay all, here is the news as of yesterday afternoon:

The new vet diagnosed pneumonia. Said she believes it's pasturella and that the dexamethazone reduced the immunity, leaving the bacterial issue to go crazy, inducing the pneumonia.. The anemia is secondary to the chronic pasturella.

we're DCing the Penicillin as it won't touch the gram negative Pasturella and trying new meds.

we'll give her time and hope for the best.

Keep yer fingers crossed.

Lori

· Super Moderator
36,704 Posts
Interesting .... please do keep us updated...hope she recovers fully for you

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
you know, i cannot begin to express how much i appreciate the encouragement i find here on TGS.

As of tonight, she is sleeping in a barn-shed with a heat lamp and 11 baby chicks. she's still in my tee shirt and my sweatshirt, but, according to my man, she's already breathing better and eating and drinking.

so... kind thoughts and keeping your fingers crossed seems to be working.

we thank you all for your continued support.

Lori and Sally

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.