Weight of a single

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by dragonflyfarm.wa, Feb 26, 2011.

1. dragonflyfarm.wa

dragonflyfarm.wa New Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Tumwater, Washington
    I just had a doe give birth to a single doeling(very cute). Out of curiosity how much did your single weigh? If you ever had a single. Mine weighed 10 pounds.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I guess it would depend on the breed of goat as well as how much she was eating in the last 6 weeks of pregnancy.
    I had a single doe out of my Nigerian doe that weighed 5 lbs at birth..last year I had a single buckling out of a pygmy/ND cross doe that weighed just under 5lbs.

3. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    I had a single doe born last yr a Lamancha/Alpine cross that was easily 9/10 pounds she was huge, had to help Mom get her out.

4. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

I had my nigi give me a single, 6 pounds! Then another gave me a 1 pound baby....

5. dragonflyfarm.wa

dragonflyfarm.wa New Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Tumwater, Washington
    Just to help you understand, she is a boer goat.

6. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

10 pounds sounds about right. My doe had twins and I didn't weigh them but I would guess them to have been 7 pounds for the doeling and 8 pounds for the buckling. One woman that was on here last year had a single buckling that weighed 16 pounds. The doe dropped it in the field and she said when she found it if she didn't know any better she would have thought it was a week old kid. He was a really nice looking paint buck that she was going to retain and use as her jr. herd sire.

7. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    We have a kiko doe, and boer percentages and out of 6 kiddings we have only had one single - he was from a ff and weighed 8lbs - any bigger and I would have been scared since she's not a huge doe.
    Most all the twins born were 8lbs.

I have a friend that has a new herd sire and her buck is putting out 10-13lb. kids!

8. jona

jona New Member

Jan 15, 2011
    My Nubian has triplets - 8.5lbs, 8lbs and 6.5lbs.

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WOW she must of been huge. I thought my doe sis well with a 9# and a 7-1/2#.

10. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    The doe in my avatar kidded a single doeling last year that weighed 10 lbs 3 oz per the vet's scale. She had absolutely no problems delivering one that big. :p