weight of new kids ??/

Discussion in 'Meat Market' started by karmouth, Dec 12, 2008.

1. karmouth

karmouth New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    ocala, FL
    I was just wondering what is the average weight of new born boer's. My doe's are percentage ,and I have weight the babies on a tape and I know that is not very accurate,but they are between 10 -13 lbs on the tape. They have always been twins.I dont know anyone else to compare them with.
    Karen

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    boers on average weigh.. between 6 to 10 lbs ....

but there are some that have weighed more and less..... :)

3. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    10-13 lb is good! Now if you get trips that birthweight is going to be less of course.
    We've had them here anywhere from 4 1/2 to 8 (trips) and the smaller ones grow just as well as the bigger ones! Sometimes it takes them a little longer tho.

4. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Mine average about 3.5kg for singles, twins and triplets :)

Smallest I have had survive was 1kg, but he needed a lot of work.

5. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    I weigh my kids with a sling and an inexpensive digital hanging scale. I had 7 born a couple of weeks ago and they were as follows
    triplets 7.2, 6.4 and 5.7lbs
    twins 8.2 and 6.1
    a single 11.3lbs and another
    single 10.2lbs
    all boers
    I have one doe that has a single every time and it always weighs over 10lbs. Her biggest was 14lbs and her smallest was 11lbs so they do vary but I would say between 5+lbs and 11+lbs is average.

6. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Wow...it really depends on the doe. Weh have had very tiny ones and some rather large ones...we have never lost one though. I will see what we get this year.