The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 4yr old dam raising triplets. She is weaning the kids (9 wks) now. We are only letting them in with her to nurse twice a day fora short time. She got wormy & anemic and thanks to happy bleats - she is doing much better. Now we just need to get her weight back up, which I know wil be hard.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We feed free choice hay & minerals & 16% umbarger dairy feed along with top dress of BOSS & beet pulp. My question is... How much feed should we be giving this 129 lb doe? She is a med heavy milker - over a gallon a day (when we were hand-milking ourselves. Anything else we can add to get some weight on her? If healthy enough- my daughter wants to show her at fair in 3 weeks.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Her diet looks good. The grain will help with her milk production. The beet pulp and BOSS will aid in her weight gain. Alfalfa is the best hay for her. Other than time I'm not sure what else you can do for her. She is probably using all her feed and converting it to milk.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I was afraid of. I didn't know if anyone had any secrets to help put weight on or advice on how much feed I should give her or work her up to. Thanks dezak91! :)

·
Super Moderator
59,804 Posts
How much grain are you feeding her now? My Alpine/Nubian mix was getting 5.5 measuring cups per milking (milking twice a day) for a total of 11 cups per day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts