The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter's 4-h fair is Monday & she is set to take in her dairy goats on Saturday. I'm still fighting like mad to get weight on this doe but it just isn't happening. She has good quality show feed that she loves, good hay, fresh water, free choice baking soda, minerals and I'm giving her boss, alfalfa pellets & rice bran. My question is - would you take your doe if her ribs were showing like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes and I've taped her trays to keep her kids from nursing, but it's taking awhile to get the weight on. I wormed her with ivermectin and just gave her the third dose (10 days apart).

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't have access to a vet that will do a fecal. She gets free choice hay and I feed her 3 1/2 cups of feed top dressed with boss, beet pulp & rice bran twice a day.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I looked for signs of tapeworm but didn't see any. She's happy, eating a lot, and coat had improved dramatically... Just not the weight

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can get calf manna Friday at tractor supply. I'm trying not to overdue it & upset her gut too. I was feeding calf manna but ran out.

·
Registered
132 Posts
It looks like she is a heavy milker and I suspect she is working very hard to produce all that milk. Her coat looks good and shiny. If the judge has an issue then he/she will make mention of it in the final line up when he/she places all the goats and goes over their critique.

If she is an older goat then sometimes it takes them awhile to recover their body condition after kidding. If she is a younger doe then she may just be working hard to produce all her milk.

All of the above providing there is not some other underlying cause ie; worms or illness.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks dezak91 & everyone! She is a heavy milker & is 5 yrs old. He had gotten wormy & anemic, but thanks to happybleats... We for her back from that. Being in milk, I'm just struggling to get the weight on her. She won't eat more grain than that at one time. Should I feed three times a day?

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
You can try feeding 3 times per day.

Some does won't gain weight while in milk, or if they do it is very very slowly. I have one doe here who is thin and has been since about a month after she kidded, I bought her a month before she kidded and she really wasn't in the condition she should have been for the type of producer she is. Her twin sister on the other hand is fat as a tick. I have been feeding my doe extra grain and extra alfalfa pellets, she also gets vegetable oil on her feed. She has gained some weight, but it will take a while. She is in the process of being dried off and once she is dry I think she will fatten up pretty quick. She is also 5 years old.

It's up to you if you want to take her. How do other goats at the fair usually look? Have you had your 4-H leader look at her? If the others are normally pretty fat/well conditioned I would leave her at home. You don't want to be the only one with a skinny goat. All judges are different too, some don't like the fatter dairy does and prefer the skinnier does, while others want the does to be well conditioned and frown on the skinnier ones. I like their ribs to be covered enough that you don't see them, but not so much that they become harder to feel.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think we will take her kids to fair early (check in isle on 4-8) and then look to see what's around. If. We think she can compete- we'll bring her late.

·
Care giver of 4 milkers, one doeling, and One beau
915 Posts
I am having this same problem but I haven't wormed them. Maybe I should do that.

·
8,161 Posts
I am having this same problem but I haven't wormed them. Maybe I should do that.
Can you take a fecal sample to a vet? That way you will give the correct wormer for whatever parasite that your goats may have. Have them check for coccidia, also.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts