weight

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by heavenlyhaven, Sep 22, 2008.

1. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    just bought 2 does
    they are 2 years old and skinny as rails
    how do i safely put weight on them before winter hits?
    [​IMG]

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I would give them a good amount of grain (honestly, I would let them eat as much as they want for a couple minutes). Make sure it's a high protein grain, some alfalfa (hay or pellets) BOSS (if you can mix it in the grain) and. . . . I can't think of anything else right now.

We had a doe come to us early this year, very skinny and frail. We did the above, it sounds bad but I did let her eat all the grain she wanted, she didn't overeat, made sure she had free-choice hay and pasture. Anyways, she looks awesome now!! The lady I bought her from said that she was giving her basically all the grain she wanted (this is a breeder who's been around/breeding goats for 35 years). This is just how we did it and it worked great, not sure if I should really be encouraging this. :shrug:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you have to be careful with giving to much grain like that if they are not use to it.

My recomendations is to give them a good 16% grain, hay 24/7 and add some beet pulp and or alfafa pellets.

Everything takes time and you want muscle and fat not just round stomachs so it is a daily process.

That picture doesnt show her to be terrible. So it could just be the picture

4. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
  5. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    my goats love wheat bran.. weird right? but it keeps weights up

6. harmonygoats

harmonygoats New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Northern Arkansas
    Be sure to slowly give them grain and increase it gradually. We learned the hard way after we foundered a doe. Right now the foundered doe does get free choice alfalfa pellets and a good grass hay and she looks great, but it has taken a long time to get weight on her.

7. heavenlyhaven

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    previous owners fed a 10% feed and a mixture of alfalfa cubes and pellets no hay
    i have hay in my feeders (4) at all times and fresh water every day
    i feed a 16% feed and i've been told that goats need at least a 13%
    so i will not change anything for a couple of day and then i will worm
    (they say they wormed the beginning of summer and their eyelids are bright pink)
    "time heals all..."
    i just hope the cold holds off...

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sounds like they will do fine. I had SKINNY pygmy goats make it through a hard winter. THey learn to adapt. Those were my rescues who I got in January so it took even longer for them to bounce back.

Remember that goats keep warm by digesting. So as long as you have hay available for them to eat (hence digestion) they will be alright even if the cold hits sooner then you would like

9. heavenlyhaven

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    thanx for the moral boost stacy
    i'm really worried

O!
    i've decided on names

the mostly brown one will be
    AnaBella or Bella for short
    the one with white patches will be
    AnaStasia or Stacy for short

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    awe a goatie with my name :love:

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am sure they will do fine with you. If they were never really on hay before, that lone will help them. I would only offer them a little grain like others said, and slowly increase it. They will do fine.

12. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    You know I'm having that problem lately. I leave the kids with the does after kidding and this year after weaning my doe seemed really really worn out. It's taken like 5 months for her to get back to normal weight. Is there any way to prevent this worn out faze? Ps. I'm bottlefeeding all kids this coming kidding season!

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how long were you keeping the kids on mom? and how much were you feeding her?

14. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    They were on their mom for little more than 2 months, due to the fact that one little girl had been alittle sick . . . but I was feeding her about 2 quarts of sweet grain a day and then free browsing.

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    what was the protein procentage of your feed? I know that dairy does just loose weight when lactating, some worse then others depending on how much they put into producing milk.

16. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'd say that since they were used to getting grain, you should continue doing so.....a better quality and higher percentage though.
    ALOT of good hay freechoice is also as good thing. Too much grain and not enough fiber will cause foudner but seeing as how they've been getting the grain already I see no problems. Mine get 18% sweet feed at different portions..never had one founder yet because of grain.

17. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I realized after I posted that the skinny doe we got was lactating and needed the extra grain anyways, so it was a different situation. I'm sorry for offering bad advice. . . . I don't think I should really be offering advice on this forum. Anyways, sorry. Love the names you chose!

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh thats ok Olivia, I know people who do feed goats as much as they want -- it just depends on what they are use to, you said the previous owner did this as well so it wasnt a change for her.

Always remember any changes must be done gradually.

19. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Oh, don't feel that way Olivia :hug:. A farm back in NC would feed their goats all they could eat in 15 minutes once a day. And they also fed their milkers on the milk stand as well as the 15 minutes. They maintaned good weights, if not chubby :greengrin:

20. heavenlyhaven

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    no offense taken
    any and all advice appreciated
    the girls were being given 10% grain and alfalfa cubes and pelletes and no hay
    now they get a 16% feed and all the hay they want
    Bella is looking better already but not Stacy
    i think i will worm them Wed
    (have to work tomorrow and have wed off)
    i'll worm the whole herd because i do an herbal weekly but chemical once a year
    but i will give Bella and Stacy a shot of probios and nutridrench (not a needle shot)