The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much do your 6 month olds meat goats weigh?... I think mine are tiny.. 1/4 kiko 3/4 boer I would say 40 is pushing it more like 30-35

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
100 lbs, give or take. 35 is sad!! Have you dewormed them? Treated for cocci? Can we get pictures? Even though they are not full Boer, 35 pounds is for a 2 month old.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is what I thought!! (we used to raise them and I never remember having one this small)

They don't seem to have grown much since I got them as 11 week olders I have been researching wormers and finally decided on one, it is on it's way now... They are eating sweet feed and minerals ever day.. and one pasture. I can get pictures in the morning..

Their gums have never been light colored until today.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did make the mistake of not creep feeding when I got them.. should I give them full feed now ? They are getting 1 1/2 cups a piece a day, should I up this ? I just wormed them today. I plan to stay on a worming schedule from now on, on advise of my uncle who raises boer's for a living.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is something like 6 cups right?.. I need to add it gradually correct?

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Getting ready to head out to feed for the night.. Wondering if 2 1/2 cups will be good for today and just slowly bump it up.

I feel so bad, I felt like they where having plenty to eat ):

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Yes, slowly work him up. Should take about a week and a half to two weeks.
Try getting some Calf Manna too, that will help a lot with the weight.

Yes its roughly a bit more than 6 cups, I think it comes out to 6 1/2 cups.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
^^ Yes that. I know it says only feed 1/4 of a pound to them a day, but I don't go by the feeding directions on grain.
I feed how much I feel they need. I would give him a pound of calf manna a day, and a pound of his grain a day.
Work him up slowly. The calf manna has 25% protein and that will help a lot. You will see a difference reasonably quickly.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks so much :) Hopefully the will pick up fast, I can't believe I done this.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am really going crazy here.. I had the three girls (born in January) up to 5 cups a day that they would eat (half calf mana half 18% sweet feed, with 3 teaspoon of minerals. I tried to up it to 6 and they won't eat all of it .... I wormed them all, they aren't acting out of the normal.. 2 out of the 3 have picked up weight but, (Clara is still tiny, she had worms so we got that taken care of and she is back to eating again).... They are on a rather large pasture, jump and play...when I give them a branch full of leaves and they jump up to eat it, they aren't getting any hay, because they won't eat it... Minnie and Daisy don't look like show goats by any means. I will try and get pictures this evening if they will let me.. But what do I do next?

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
That's good. For the one with lower weight, does she have coccidia?
What hay are you trying to feed? I would just leave a flake of alfalfa for them, they will pick at it here and there.
Bump the minerals up to 2 tablespoons.

Just keep them on the grain until they are at a healthy weight, then you can give them each 1 pound of grain a day, until they are normal adult size.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't believe she does, she was wormy, she had a 4 day treatment (again 3 weeks later, about 2 weeks now) after being treated she is back to normal and eating more and more. The hay is an alfalfa and orchard grass mix, 2nd cutting. 2 table spoons a piece ? or for the three of them ?

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Karen, I asked my vet to do a fecal, he looked at her eye gave me wormer and told me she had worms. I asked if I could still get a fecal and he said no. ........ he won't do a fecal for me! he is one of those old timers who says if they are pale you worm. I am going to try another vet in a different town today, well actually my husband is (he has to go out there) I hope the new vet will take him serious.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts