Weight

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Goataddict, Jun 25, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Goataddict

Goataddict Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    Hey there I am asking this question for a friend and also for myself as well if need be. What is the normal weight for a 8 month Nigerian Dwarf Goat (for myself now) and how can I help to help her
    gain weight.

Thanks I will try and upload pictures later.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I would think somewhere around 40 lbs but it has been a while since I owned Nigerians.

3. Goataddict

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    Thanks a lot

4. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    @Goataddict - did you still need help putting weight on your Nigerian Dwarf doe?

A fecal analysis, if possible, to rule out any stomach worms or other types of parasites is the best place to start when trying to put weight on them.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  6. Champion Fence Jumpers

Champion Fence Jumpers Active Member

Feb 9, 2020
    Texas
    Do you have any pictures of her?

Goataddict and Moers kiko boars like this.
  7. Goataddict

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    Yes I do. But raining now so I will try and get it later.

8. Goataddict

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    Thanks she seems to be getting better. I have dewormed her. She was more of a rescue goat, her former owners didn't really pay attention to her, I am currently battling lice and she is a touch me not doe making it a lot harder. Got any advice on how to make her trust me.
    Thanks a lot for the advice

MadHouse likes this.
  9. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Spend time with her, not interacting, but by just being in a small pen where she can't get real far away from you. When you feed her, be with her the entire time she eats. (Grain). If you have time, maybe set a chair in her small area and read or something so she is always aware of you, but you are not being a threat.
    Offer treats they she likes, pieces of fruit, crackers, etc.

10. Goataddict

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    Thanks

11. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Yep the fastest and easiest way to a goats heart is threw their stomach lol I did exactly as goats rock suggested with a super wild, like try to kill himself to get away from me buck. For him it was oak leaves that won him over lol but he still would rather be left alone but he is very manageable now.
    But with the does even the stubborn ones that don’t want to be buddies, kidding seems to be the point that they change. I think probably because I am up in their business at a very vulnerable time and they finally realize I’m not out to get them.

12. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Yep on the kidding. And, as they lick you (I have one that licks my arm the entire labor) you become accepted as their kid, too!

13. Goataddict

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    Thanks It took some trial and error but her favourite is between mango and moringa leaves.

MadHouse likes this.
  14. Goataddict

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    I can't post any pictures. Any advice

15. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I think new members have to post/reply three times before uploading photos so you should be able to now.

16. Goataddict

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    Thanks

17. Goataddict

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
  18. Goataddict

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    Here are her pictures, it takes food to lure her into a picture position as you can see.

MadHouse likes this.
  19. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    What a cute face!

She does look quite small for her age, and I think she might be underweight. Hard to say without putting hands on her. Are her spine & hips boney and sharp to the touch?

What did you use for deworming and how much? I'm assuming she is very pale in the eye membranes when you check FAMACHA score? She looks like she is probably still anemic.

I can see the lice are quite an issue. Can you get Ivermectin Pour On in your country?

What is causing the discoloration of her legs & side?

20. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    As an ND owner - she looks okay size-wise - but she is a little unthrifty, she needs weight.

But I’m not incredibly concerned by that condition as some ND’s are more diary and just look petite, but I would fecal her to be safe!!

MadHouse and Goataddict like this.