The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 does that I am milking one of them has a very odd almost with a little sweet smell to her breath. Another doe that isn't be milked yet has now started getting the same breath. I am not sure what is going on. Eye lids and top gums are way to light of a pink. I did give then 40 cc of ivermexon drench 2 days ago. Berries are good, same with eating. Any ideas. Thank you

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
How are they acting? One of my does has always had sweet breath, that's just how she is. Sometimes sicky sweet breath can mean ketosis, or "milk fever" but I wouldn't jump to that conclusion just yet, if the breath is the only symtom. Any change of diet?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are acting ok last night. The doe that just started has never had this smell before. The doe that I am milking has had a sweet smell to her breath but this is so worse. We haven't introduced new feed yet. Just bought oats, barley beet pellet but we haven't given it to them yet. I check the inside of the ears daily to make sure no one is way off. Thanks

·
2,203 Posts
Try feeding a bit of yogurt...

pH may be off. Funny? How sweet? Can you compare it to ketosis sweet?

·
Registered
30,576 Posts
pick up some ketone strips to test for ketosis...here is a good link to read on ketosis, http://www.extension.org/pages/29494/goat-ketosis

Im not convinced Ketosis since you would see other signs..but its "just in case" Goats never stick to the rule book ;)

Yes..greek yogurt is fine...unsweetened would be best..or probiotics..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts