The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Baby has these weird little bumps on her tail... They almost look like ant bites, but could possibly be something worse like staph... How do I treat it? Should I call the vet? I wanted to pop one, but was afraid it would get infected if I did... What do y'all think?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thank you,
Nigerian dwarf goat

Attachments

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont have any clorhexidine... I will get it in the morning. How did she get it? Can it kill her? Can I get it? Is it contagious? Will I have to scrub EVERYTHING when she is treated?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just cleaned the pens on Thursday. I put lime down to clear up any wetness and put down dry pine shavings. It has been very moist here lately, so that probably where it came from. Should I separate her from the herd? I am going to call a vet in the morning.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
2017 was a wet year for us and nearly all my babies got bumps under their tails just like that. It was the only year so far that's happened and it went away by itself eventually. One poor kid had them all over the underparts of his body. They seemed a little itchy but otherwise completely normal. I tried a few different things on the bumps and none of them seemed to do anything so I let it run it's course. The bumps disappeared by themselves after 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
With those white pimples I would guess staph infection. I use FightBac from Jeffers, spray the infected area 2x a day and it should clear up soon.

Reactions: GoofyGoat

·
8,066 Posts
I scrub the tail area with a mild soap if I don't have Hibiclens (I mean I pop those pustules), clean with soap, rub and dry. (Wearing surgical gloves), then spray Fight Bac on it. One doe had it on her udder. After a week or 2 of the Hibiclens and Fight Bac, it went away.

Another, it took a few weeks, and one I did nothing. Took a few weeks. So, it may take a few weeks. Just wear gloves if you are messing with it. (Just in case....)

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, so I popped as many as I could, (which was pretty fun..., yeah I know, weird me LOL) and I washed it with sterile water, and goats milk soap then I sprayed it a few times with vetricen spray. I can't get the vet out today, I won't be home all day, so I will see if I can get him out tomorrow. I washed everything that touched her, then took a shower... Is anything else recommended before the vet gets here? I didn't do it very long because it is cold out and I don't want her to get pneumonia

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't know if penicillin would work or not. (I'm thinking not). You actually want them to dry up.
I didn't think it would work... just a thought

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
oxytetracycline, penicillin, and ampicillin can be injected to help fight off the bacteria. (Found the info in sheep and goat medicine be D.G. Pugh) I have penicillin and can get oxytetracycline (duramycin) tomorrow and can order ampicillin (polyflex) but if I get the vet out here, then he will probably give me some kind of antibiotic...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts