The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you heard of a doeling having like a uterine or vaginal infection? Piper has yellow puss coming out of her vulva, it's on her tail too /: It's not like she was tagged, she's not even 4 months old yet... I'll try to catch her tomorrow and check eyelids and temp if I can

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Never heard of it in goats, but that doesn't mean they can't get it. It is common in female puppies, it is called vaginitis, sounds like what your doeling has. It can be cleared up with antibiotics, but they normally grow out of it (my experience in puppies anyway).

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She's not all that tame, I looked only briefly and I'm rather certain it's not a cut. What kind of antibiotics would you suggest? How much and how often?

·
2,203 Posts
I wouldn't jump right into antibiotics.

Take a temp first. Both rectally and vaginally. Use lube. Be gentle (obviously lol). Feed her some yogurt.

Sometimes hormones can get screwy and mess up the pH in the uterus, or vagina causing what seems an infection. Typically will clear up within the week.

Any recent changes or stressors? Feed, housing, routine, new person?

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
I agree...dont jump right into antibiotics...I would gently clean her so I could see how heavy it is when it returns...many times when a young doe comes inheat forthe first time they can have discharge...the time to worry is when it has a bad odor keep it clean afew days and see how she does...do take her temp..I would do rectal only..

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree...dont jump right into antibiotics...I would gently clean her so I could see how heavy it is when it returns...many times when a young doe comes inheat forthe first time they can have discharge...the time to worry is when it has a bad odor keep it clean afew days and see how she does...do take her temp..I would do rectal only..
I will have to attempt to catch her. My buck is sketchy and has made my kids that way >< I can touch her but forget handling lol

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
lol..gether in a small pen of some kind and leave her there few days..some one on one with treats and time will help her handle easier and you will be ble to keep a close watch on her...is she running with your buck??

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol..gether in a small pen of some kind and leave her there few days..some one on one with treats and time will help her handle easier and you will be ble to keep a close watch on her...is she running with your buck??
She was handled at least 4 hours a day for the first 2 weeks.y buck is sketchy and made my doelings weird lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts