weird ears

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by dobe627, Mar 7, 2009.

1. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    I don't know if this is the right place to post but didn't know where else to go. My 4 week old pygmy buckling has normal pygmy ears. And they were fine at birth. But at some point I noticed the tips were "krinkly" for lack of a better term. I have just been keeping my eye on him. Well they are still "krinkly" and also have gotten kind of hard, compared to the rest of the ear. Now today I noticed its a little bloody on the one tip, almost like the tip cut cut off. Theres nothing he can get caught on in the pen that I can see. I have read about siblings sucking on ears and wonder if its that :shrug: Other then that he and his sister are doing great. For those that followed the post about her missing hair on her leg its coming back. Thanks

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    That is odd. The only thing that comes to mind would be his sibling(s) is chewing his ears or something?? I don't know that is odd. Can you maybe get a picture??

3. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Our almost 4 day old babies are sucking on each others ears. Any chance it could be frostbite?

4. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Yep I can go get a picture but I am the dummy that doesn't know how to post them. :oops:
    I don't think its frostbite as theres no discoloration and it started with one ear then the other. Plus they are in the barn at night and go in their little "hut". I looked to see if any mineral deficincies have this sympton. But didn't see anything.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    maybe there is a sliver or something penetrated into the ear tip or close by it.....sounds like an infection of a foreign object.....the swelling is probably because of it....can you see a little scab or pin hole or where it may have a blood spot....also look at the very bottom of the ear around the edges ..... if you find something like that...then try to squeeze out any puss that may be in there and maybe even the foreign object........ if the hole is big enough ... flush it out.....

6. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    They are not swollen at all. The tips are hard, not like that when he was born. And the one that was a little bloddy looks like the tip is just hanging there. Its just the very tips. No one elses are like that. No holes or anything. The reason I wondered if his sister Rory was sucking on them 1) I have seen her occasionally do it. 2) when I pick her up she will suck on my shirt, hair ear etc. Almost like she has a fetish. So I was wondering if maybe she was sucking on it and bit it. I got a picture. let me see if I can post it, please no one hold your breath waiting :ROFL:

7. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    ok so as always it told me it was too big. If any of you kind people can tell me how to resize I would be soo grateful. I have several different programs on this darn computer. I know at least one of them has to be able to do it. I have kodak easy share, print shop5.1 and 20. Also something else.

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    do you have a program called "Paint" ? do a search on your computer and find that ...open it....

in image....go to resize /skew.. horizonal / vertical ...start out at 50 % ..see how much it shrinks ...if it isn't small enough do it again .....you can also shrink 70% if you don't want it to shrink as much.....if it shrink's to much...go to edit and undo.....keep trying until you finally get it small enough.....

there is also what is called ...Photo bucket... but I have never used that yet....

9. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    If you have the pic on your computer,,,you could email it to me and I can post it for ya. wilcoxkwfarms@aol.com

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Kylee..that is so sweet of you.... :hug:

yes... a picture would help .. :wink:

11. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yep, no problem. :wink: I've just got time to kill today anyways.

12. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    go to photobucket.com
    join
    (its free)
    upload your pictures there
    find the picture you want to show here or just about any forum
    put your cursor on the picture
    a pop up window will show up below the pic
    move your cursor down to the last box
    i think it says IMG next to it
    left click on it
    a smaller pop up box will appear that says COPIED
    then come here
    reply to message, as you normally would do
    right click where you would type and then click paste
    a link will show up in your reply box but when you click submit it will show up in the thread as a picture

13. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Thanks Kylee will email it to you in a second. I have been trying to figure out how to describe it better. On a pygmy the ears are rounded at the end, well his were but now they are pointy, because the tip is kind of folded in towards itself.
    Thanks everyone for suggestions on getting pictures posted. You would think after all this time I would figure it out. Heck I still haven't gotten an avatar- how sad is that????? Cathy

14. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Pam I found my program called paint and went it and did what you said to resize, then what? do I hit save or something? because after I took it down to 50% then tried to post same thing came up- too big its still the same size. Thanks

15. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I had a doeling that did this last year, and I was told it was from frostbite - could be :shrug:

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    you will have to go back into paint again and do it again with that modified pic...what happens with me is.. I generally do 50%...50% again to 70%...then try to submit it again... If it is still to big ..then I go back to Paint and try at 80% ...then go back again to the goat spot..try not to make it to small and of course not to big.... and yes.. it does take a few times.... :roll:
    Note: The original picture .....that you started from...be sure when you save the modified/resized pic...to make a new name or the original will be modified and you cannot go back and change it bigger for other things and quality you want to do... with it later.. :wink:

17. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Alrighty... Just got an email from Cathy, here are the pics...they seem a bit blurry, but you can see the tip on one of the ears pretty clear.

18. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sorry I cant see anything wrong - to blurry.

As to the picture size. They need to be 430X430 Pixels

19. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    It looks the same way as moons did - and she didn't have a sibling or any other kids around her that could have been sucking on them - I would guess frost bite.

20. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Thanks kylee. As I mentioned I am going to make it a goal to figure out how to post pics.
    I was always told frostbite would turn things black. But it did get really cold here a few times. And the night they were born was really cold. As least it doesn't seem like its anything I guess I need to worry about, thats good. 3 does due in the next 2 weeks so I was hoping it wasn't something I was missing. Thanks everyone