weird hair loss? *picture update*

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by AlaskaBoers, Mar 10, 2010.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Narcissus, ah the drama queen- she's had a tough year with her kidding and all that. toady while feeding i noticed hair missing on the front of her neck, along each side large patches are gone. She's started shedding out her winter coat last week which is normal since its 20+F outside.

She recently was wormed with ivomec, and has no lice, their minerals (sweetlix) did run out last month, and I havent gotten another bag yet, but i heard the feed store got a new shipment. none of the others have this happening...hmmm?

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Re: weird hair loss?

I know Stacey's Lola did that last year, and now I've got a doe doing it this year. Can't figure out the reason. :shrug: :shrug:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

I think its stress related -- after their body has gone through something stressful its a reaction

4. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA

Do you have hay feeders that they stick their heads into? I see that a lot in goats from rubbing while eating.

5. CrazyAcre

CrazyAcre New Member

Jan 6, 2010

This is interesting as I had an adult doe do this last year and ended up shedding her whole coat a little early, and I had to put a coat on her, she was fine afterwoods and had her normal coat.

so this year her daughter is shedding out the cashmere(fluffy stuff) along her neck, and has a very dry coat and flakey , they get BOSS and alfalfa with their dairy grain, so it shouldn't be oils in the skin, I know alfalfa doesn't have oils but he BOSS does.
    Also her half sister is doing the shedding out too just along the neck thing, like yours, its really strange, she does have hair still and its growing back in, but its quite thin, I told my daughter she looks like one of them turkeys with no feathers on their necks... poor thing!

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I agree with the others.... :wink: :greengrin:

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

ahh! not good. I dont want to take a hairless goat to the fair :) lol!

it's getting a bit chilly to, it's 4F outside and winter doesnt end until early May.
    Funny you asked, they do use a keyhole type feeder, but Narcissus is the only one who uses the feeder that they dont stick their heads in, just their noses (I have two feeders in that pen)

she has been through tons of stress, bad kidding, no milk, doe ended up being crushed by her, surprised me with bottle jaw, and now a naked neck!?! maybe that's just stressing me. idk. if she wasnt a fullblood i would cull her, but we dont have many fullbloods here, I'm only keeping her for kids. :(

it sounds like there's no way to treat it?

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Re: weird hair loss? *Picture*

[​IMG]

it looks terrible! :tears: :scratch:

9. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio

I had twin kids that had odd hair loss, they lost it in patches and it was nasty looking. I eventually had the vet out and he said he had no clue, they didn't have worms, lice, rain rot... so his final conclusion was it was maybe something genetic or something wasn't agreeing (thanks for the reassurance right?)...it was an odd experience, but he did give them meds (It has been quite sometime and I have no clue what it was) so you might want to contact your vet if it doesn't stop? :shrug:

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    any feed changes ...when this happened?

Also did you treat for biting and sucking lice?.....giving Ivomac down the throat does not take care of one of the types of lice..... Use Ivomac plus and inject it.....1cc/40lbs SubQ .... She isn't preggo ...so it is safe to use on her....
    Hair will grow back reasonably quick... We had a buck that was losing hair....smooth looking skin....so we injected him with it and it started coming back in.... Good luck... :hug:

11. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    K. I'll add ivomec plus to the ever growing list of things I still need to order. lol

for now, I'll spray her with lice killer stuff (forgot the name!)

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Wow...that must really be tough having to order it all the time....your feed stores don't carry it ?....... :hug:

If you can find a product that says kills both biting and sucking lice... that should work....Ivermax (ivermectrin) Pour on for cattle... says it kills both....... :wink:

13. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    only wormers i could get here is zimectrin, safguard for horses and rumatel. so I get to order it. :) i need a ton of other stuff though anyway. :)

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I know how ordering can be sometimes... it is a pain.... but to get those stubborn lice you'll need the ivomec plus... :hug:

15. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    hey, got the sweetlix

also i found - Ivermectin cattle pour on, $27.00 per bottle though i forget the size
    will this work on goats? still need ivomec plus i think though ;)

16. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    I had something similar once and it turned out to be mites that lived in the baled hey. It was winter and so how the mites live in the bales of hay because it is warm enough for them to survive. You might want to check your hay or straw if you use it for bedding. I know this is a slim chance but just maybe. Good luck, I am sure this will pass.

17. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    thanks Mully, they use their spent hay as bedding, though I've heard here that mites arent in Alaska? sounds weird, i know there arent ticks here but not sure about mites.

18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Ivomec Plus injectable is quicker to work...and it should kill mites if there is any... than the Ivermectin Pour on....
    I don't like having to give them the injections but.... to stop it quick...and knowing it works... I recommend injecting it..... We just tried the Pour on the goats 6 days ago and find they are still itching...and it says it kills both lice and mites... I am starting to doubt...that it really works... :roll:

Glad you got the sweetlix..... :thumbup:

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California