Weird neck on new kid

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Michaela Van Mecl, May 22, 2020.

1. Michaela Van Mecl

Michaela Van Mecl Active Member

Sep 3, 2018
    These littles were born two days ago , first time momma , poor thing surprised us with triplets... Two boys and a girl.

All three are doing well, but the one buckling seems to be a bit deformed. His neck almost has a bit of scoliosis to it. He's eating and getting around , maybe a bit slower than the other two, but he was also the last out. I haven't given them any BoSe yet since the two didn't think they needed it , but I'm wondering if this is a permanent deformity.

Anyone have feedback , thoughts, similar experiences? I took a photo of him next to the other male. They are lamancha Nubian crosses fyi , and I planned on wethering both males.

Attached Files:

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I'd start with a BoSe shot.

3. Michaela Van Mecl

Sep 3, 2018
    I'll do that ! I feel it's probably skeletal but who knows what will happen. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

What dosage do you recommend ?

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  4. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    He might still be stretching out from being squished in there

5. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I do 1/4 cc bo-se orally. His neck almost looks swollen? It may have been a tight fit in there, especially if the kids were of good size. All my does had triplets, the last to kid gave me huge kids and the last one out took a good two weeks to start to unfold well. I also gave some vitamin d (cod liver oil). She's great now! As long as he can eat well and gets around, I would give him some time.

6. Michaela Van Mecl

Sep 3, 2018
    Thanks for the hopeful feedback. That's what I'm hoping for ! The muscle is much bigger on the top of the neck than the others, almost like it's pinched and bunched up . Hopefully you are right !

GoofyGoat and goatblessings like this.
  7. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Massage the neck too.

toth boer goats likes this.
  8. goatblessings

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    So ... here is Mirage. My triplet doe I spoke about. She was over at the knee almost buckled and hyper extended in the elbows- she looked like a bulldog.... to the point that even though she was reserved prior kidding I would not sell her.... IMG_1533.jpg here she is today

ksalvagno and toth boer goats like this.
  9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Bo-se orally? I never heard of that before.
    It is suppose to be injected SQ.
    1/4 to 1/2 cc depending on size in larger breed goats.

10. goatblessings

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    My vet recommended this years ago. I've always given it orally, as long as it's within a day of being born - b-complex as well. Has always worked for me with no ill effects.

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  12. goatblessings

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
  13. Michaela Van Mecl

Sep 3, 2018
    Wow! That is miraculous! Do you have a pic of her before? We dubbed the little boy Carl... Carl looks like he is getting a bit more mobility, but his neck is still extremely large and causes him to hunch over. Still have fingers crossed! Thank you so much for sharing!

14. goatblessings

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I don't have a pic - my last kidding of the season and I have a ton to deal with this year - not many pics. I did give her some sel - e gel every three days a couple of times. Also ADE gel. The other kids weighed in at birth - 10;5 lbs, 9.5 lbs. - she was last out at 8.5....... so she was a squished little fish!

15. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
  16. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I would definitely be doing gentle massage to help the muscles stretch out. Is the area hot to the touch at all?