The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lactating doe with her doeling. The pair arrived (along with a couple of other goats) about a month back.

She seems healthy, eats well and happily trots to the milking stand each day. Problem is she yells ALL the time. If I pull her kid, she is quiet and content and doesn't make a peep. If I leave her with her kid, she screams all...day...long. She lets the kid nurse without issue and the two snuggle up at night.

She is currently quarantined (as is standard practice with any new goats here) and she will be moved out with the rest of the herd where she'll have tons of space pending lab results - but for the time being, any ideas as to why she hates being with her kid?

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have a lactating doe with her doeling. The pair arrived (along with a couple of other goats) about a month back.

She seems healthy, eats well and happily trots to the milking stand each day. Problem is she yells ALL the time. If I pull her kid, she is quiet and content and doesn't make a peep. If I leave her with her kid, she screams all...day...long. She lets the kid nurse without issue and the two snuggle up at night.

She is currently quarantined (as is standard practice with any new goats here) and she will be moved out with the rest of the herd where she'll have tons of space pending lab results - but for the time being, any ideas as to why she hates being with her kid?
Is she by herself with the kid or are there other goats quarantined with her? My does started yelling when they were with their babies in maternity stalls (separate from the herd) because they missed their herd and wanted to be with everyone else, they too would be kind of vocal. Also, mine are Nubians, so they know how to carry a tune lol :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha. I hear ya. These guys are Nubians too. Big loud mouths! LOL

It's the weirdest thing though. She is in a stall away from the other goats. But she ONLY yells if she is with her kid. I can leave her in the stall, and pull the baby and she'll stay happily by herself all day. She's still away from the other goats, the only difference is she doesn't have the baby with her. She definitely has me scratching my head!

·
Registered
609 Posts
That is so weird! I don't have any clue why she is doing that. I have Nubians also and only one is a loud mouth. The others say very little but it is usually right opposite of what your is doing. They bawl and carry on when separated from the herd or their kids. That is understandable. Yours not so!!!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Haha. I hear ya. These guys are Nubians too. Big loud mouths! LOL

It's the weirdest thing though. She is in a stall away from the other goats. But she ONLY yells if she is with her kid. I can leave her in the stall, and pull the baby and she'll stay happily by herself all day. She's still away from the other goats, the only difference is she doesn't have the baby with her. She definitely has me scratching my head!
Hmmm, well I don't know why she'd be acting like that. I'd be nice if they could tell us what on earth is going on in their head.

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
Is she tight in the udder?
Check her and milk her if she needs it, if you only have one kid on her. She may get mastitis, or may have it already if the kid is 1 month old and the other side is ignored.

But it is strange she yells when the kids is there and not when the kid is removed.
Also check for teat sores, that may be why she is uncomfortable and fearful of her baby nursing, it hurts.

·
8,187 Posts
Maybe that's how she "talks" to her kid. Quit laughing! I'm serious! My friend has Nubians and they are all so loud, that when they kid, they tend to scream at their kids to be heard over the racket. The herd does not scream all the time, only if someone comes in the barn, pulls in the drive, drives by the house, breathes, thinks, ... :p
Basically, they are a loud bunch. :eek:mg: (Which is why I sold all mine, you have to be a special person with lots of patience and I'm not!). They are all very healthy and well cared for. (Didn't want anyone thinking they were mistreated)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts