The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
287A4F54-26BD-4B36-8CAA-F7DD4293D5A0.jpeg
This was her poop this morning. I ended up using hay to pick it up to move it because it was right where I sit in her pen and it was all held together in a stringy fashion with mucous holding it together. The weirdest thing. I've never seen poop like this from a goat. Or anything. It looked kind of like an umbilical cord, but poop. Is it because she's possibly near kidding?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don’t think it’s tapeworm. I couldn’t find evidence of worms at all. She’s acting/eating/pottying normally. Her eyelids are pink, not white and she doesn’t have diarrhea.

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
I would go ahead and grab some ketosis strips and test her urine. While there are no definitive answers as to why we see "string of pearls" poop most feel it's do to Ketosis but no explanation as to why that I have found. Won't hurt to give her 30 cc of 50/50 molasses and water 2 times a day...see if that helps. Even a mild case needs to be addressed to prevent it from getting worse.

Reactions: GoofyGoat

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The vet I was using moved over an hour and a half away. Now I have to last minute find another. This sucks so bad

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’ve called them all and none of them will do it because they don’t work with goats at all. So upset!

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
A splash of molasses in a bucket of water or actually a drench? If she does has the start of Ketosis..a 50/50 drench is needed.

Reactions: Lindsay1983

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I thought I recalled seeing something about this in "Holistic Goat Care" and have attached the relevant bit.

Frida had one single weird poop two days ago too, she is also close to the end of pregnancy. So yes, check with the vet, but I wouldn't panic! View attachment 197343
Oh my goodness that looks so similar and makes me feel better!! Thank you so much for sharing!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts