The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy, my goats are really stressing me out today! I don’t think I’ve ever noticed a poop like this before, though to be fair, these current kids haven’t been pooping much in my presence lately, and it’s been two years since my last (and only other) kid experience.

But it seems weird and mucousy. I gave momma her herbal dewormer yesterday - could that have affected this baby’s poop, or is there something else I should be concerned about?

The kid who made this is coming on 3 weeks old, so basically on an all-milk diet still.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

·
Registered
871 Posts
I would be concerned about coccidia. They are the right age for it. Keep an eye out for dark or bloody diarrhea. How are they acting otherwise? I don't think an herbal dewormer would cause this in a kid from mom's milk.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I don't know about others, but I feed a pelleted feed containing Decoxx (goat pellet DX is what mine is called) to help prevent coccidia for my young ones starting as soon as they show interest in feed. There are other feeds out there with similar coccidia prevention in it. It seems to have really helped my herd.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the vet is closed today (closed every Saturday since the initial Covid restrictions) and I can’t take a fecal sample in even if I manage to get a clean one. Maybe tomorrow I can take one.

In the meantime, I’ve done a little searching and it looks like coccidia is a common parasite which affects the digestive system, and tends to be problematic in warm wet seasons and in crowded or dirty enclosures. I’m not ruling it out, especially as there are a couple of areas in the pregnant mama/kid yard with a lot of poop (I cleaned the stalls quite recently but I haven’t tried to clean the corner of the yard where they like to poop during the day). That said, it’s been very unusually dry here for spring, I feed them in tubs and put their hay in tires so it doesn’t get all over the ground, and I refresh the water regularly. Then again, they are at the age of tasting everything, food or not.

Hmm. I was hoping to catch the other kid pooping to see how hers looked, but she didn’t poop once while I was out there.

How likely is it that this is coccidia? The kids will be three weeks old on Monday. I have seen that other things like change of diet and too much milk can cause diarrhea - but would it be slimy like this? They have been tasting and eating some fresh new grass that’s come in, and alfalfa hay.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Coccidia is very common. So it's quite likely to be coccidia related. Does the kid act normal? What's the kid's temp? Are the eyelids pink? You mentioned herbal dewormer...why not give some to the kid? I have been treating what I'm fairly sure was coccidia in my bottle kids with herbals. I never got it verified, because I forgot to take my fecal sample in to the vet on Friday...was halfway to town when I suddenly realized, that little baggy of poop was still in the chore closet. :) And the symptoms are clearing up so well that I probably won't worry about it, now, unless I have issues again. Getting a fecal done at the vet costs me about $20, and I'm not terribly confident in their accuracy, so I don't do it often, unless there's an emergency where I need a quick answer.
I used about 1/4 teaspoon LOH wormer 3x a day, with a teaspoon of cinnamon, and about 2 tablespoons of rosemary, oregano, thyme, and garlic 'tea' (fresh or dried herbs from my garden steeped in warm water). I also gave the one that had the worst diarrhea some ginger and cayenne, for the first couple of days, as well as some colloidal silver , to hopefully deal with a bacterial issue, if that was going on at all. The two I'm treating are 1 month old, and about 20 lbs. I would do smaller amounts of the herbs for a smaller kid.
I am not an herbalist, and I was mostly just treating symptoms with things I had on hand. I do feel that getting on top of a potential coccidia issue right away is helpful in keeping the kid from getting sick. And with the herbs I was giving, I was not too concerned about hurting the kids if I accidentally misdiagnosed.

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
Definitely need coccidia prevention starting now...im wondering is baby is grazing more with mom. Poops looks like maybe dietary. With spring here...grasses coming in..could be the issue. Give some probiotics and I agree won't hurt to get baby started on herbal parasite formula. We start our kids at a week old here. If he needs more support you can do tummy tamer along with the herbal.
Tummy Tamer
1 teaspoon each
Cayenne pepper
Ginger
Cinnamon
Slippery elm
ACV
Molasses in enough water to drench. Usually 20-30 cc. 2 x a day or Can split in two doses and do 4 times a day.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks so much to everyone! I looked at my herbal dewormer and sure enough, it is also used for coccidia prevention and treatment. The seller recommends starting kids at two weeks - I’ll have to remember that for the next kids. Started these two with the recommended three week dose and will dose them again tomorrow if I see any more weird poop. And thank you very much for the Tummy Tamer recipe, and all the other recommendations. I will try to remember to come back with an update tomorrow!

Kids are both still acting fine, very high energy and happy and interested in everything. These herbs have been fantastic for me so far, so I have high hopes. But if they don’t work, I now have a whole list of things to try! Thanks again to all of you wonderful people for always being here with your support and advice. You all are amazing!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.