The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doe has been on quite the journey for the past few months.
We recently moved from our farm to a rental and decided to board my doe and her two kids. My dad dropped them at their boarding place and then we weren’t able to visit for two weeks. When we finally came back, I found my two wethers out of the field (because the fencing was so bad) and my doe in a field with horribly underweight and anemic goats, one of which had awful diarrhea. My doe was underweight and anemic, so we rushed over the next morning and “rescued” her and her kids.
We moved them to my friends backyard until we can find a better place.
This all happened at the end of June. She is JUST NOW showing improvement from her anemia.
Anyways, I’ll cut to the chase. She went through a series of vet visits because of being underweight and anemic but then she also had a UTI. I know that is rare in goats but they ran blood work and checked everything else that could cause regular/painful urinations. She was put on antibiotics and was fine within a few days. About a week later she started showing signs again so I called my vet and they said to give her another round of the meds. She was again fine for about a week but is now urinating frequently again, very small amounts.
The real reason I am posting this is she’s been doing this weird twisting thing. She will tense up and twist to her right side, like contracting it and looking at it. It looks painful but then she goes back to eating normally. Her appetite for forage hasn’t been as big as it usually is, but she is eating grain and hay. She’s on a diet for weight gain (which seems to be slowly working).
Have any of y’all experienced this? Is it related to the UTI? I really don’t want to have to pay for a third vet bill so that’s why I’m going here first.
Her FAMACHA score is pretty much perfect, she went through a round of dewormers and CORID.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also forgot to mention that in the past week she’s lost a lot of hair and has bald spots. She’s always struggled with dandruff but I’ve never seen her this “bald.” I don’t see any bugs on her and she shouldn’t be deficient in anything because she’s getting good quality grain, hay, and minerals.

·
Administrator
85,553 Posts
The twisting to the right, sounds strange, can you get a video of her doing that?
Any slack jaw, drooling, eye darting, droopy ear on the right side?

UTI, is she squatting a lot?
And not much coming out?

Does she have loose salt and minerals out free choice.
Her hair loss could be eficiency.

·
Registered
386 Posts
So, she's curving into kind of a "C" shape? Like a contraction in labor?

I wonder if her infection is just really bad and she needs more meds- it could be impacting her kidneys and causing discomfort. If it is so, I'd try to get more antibiotics and/or go hard with immune boosting- raw garlic, Vit C, etc. Maybe slippery elm to soothe irritation.

Poor thing. That's a fast decline! And so much work to recover from.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The twisting to the right, sounds strange, can you get a video of her doing that?
Any slack jaw, drooling, eye darting, droopy ear on the right side?

UTI, is she squatting a lot?
And not much coming out?

Does she have loose salt and minerals out free choice.
Her hair loss could be eficiency.
I don’t think we can post videos on here?
She hasn’t had any of those symptoms.
She is urinating frequently, in small amounts.
She consumes minerals so much that I have had to limit her intake. I can give her salt free choice, her housing right now just makes all of that difficult but I can figure it out if you think it’ll help.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, she's curving into kind of a "C" shape? Like a contraction in labor?

I wonder if her infection is just really bad and she needs more meds- it could be impacting her kidneys and causing discomfort. If it is so, I'd try to get more antibiotics and/or go hard with immune boosting- raw garlic, Vit C, etc. Maybe slippery elm to soothe irritation.

Poor thing. That's a fast decline! And so much work to recover from.
It’s not like a contraction, but yes into a c shape.
She was on the round of meds twice, I just don’t understand how she could need more!
And I know… it’s been a long road! ):

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Could just be her acting bucky. Sometimes does tense and twist like they're a buck checking out their equipment.
I’ve never thought of that! I feel like I have seen her do it every once in a great great while but now it’s almost every few minutes. It doesn’t seem to be her checking herself, because her neck kind of twists and she isn’t looking at herself if that makes sense.

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
Is it like she is trying to reach her hips or spine to itch? I'm asking because you mentioned bald spots. Are they linear from the spine or parallel to the spine? I'm thinking meningeal worm if you live in a state with White Tail Deer. It's just an idea based on what you've described, not necessarily a normal presentation. Watch closely for any tripping over the back toes when she walks/trots.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is it like she is trying to reach her hips or spine to itch? I'm asking because you mentioned bald spots. Are they linear from the spine or parallel to the spine? I'm thinking meningeal worm if you live in a state with White Tail Deer. It's just an idea based on what you've described, not necessarily a normal presentation. Watch closely for any tripping over the back toes when she walks/trots.
No, it’s more her shoulder reaching across and her head will be in different positions. She’s not necessarily reaching for her side, it’s more of a contraction of her right side/stretch of her left side that results in her head being moved if that makes sense.
Since she is staying in my friends backyard and doesn’t have forage in her pen, I go over twice a day to walk her where there is forage. So she gets at least 40 minutes of foraging a day and then the rest of her diet is free choice hay and 6 pounds of feed. All that to say, I’m only around her for about an hour a day. This morning she was twisting often, tonight she didn’t twist at all.
She has very thin hair along her spine, on her head (where horns would grow), and her hips.
We do have white tail deer but I haven’t noticed tripping, except for the normal trip over a stick or hole.

·
Administrator
85,553 Posts
Many things can be going on there.
Here’s is a good link that covers many causes.

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,077 Posts
She will tense up and twist to her right side, like contracting it and looking at it. It looks painful but then she goes back to eating normally.
She was again fine for about a week but is now urinating frequently again, very small amounts.
Could there be a possibility there is pain in her kidney and/or bladder which are located slightly past mid section of the trunk area?

Was she exposed to a buck intentionally or accidently? And is there a possibly she could be pregnant and/or coming into heat?

You mentioned 2 rounds of antibiotics prior, do you know which antibiotic was used?

Is or would, SMZ/TMP be considered an option for treating UTI in goats?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Could there be a possibility there is pain in her kidney and/or bladder which are located slightly past mid section of the trunk area?

Was she exposed to a buck intentionally or accidently? And is there a possibly she could be pregnant and/or coming into heat?

You mentioned 2 rounds of antibiotics prior, do you know which antibiotic was used?

Is or would, SMZ/TMP be considered an option for treating UTI in goats?
I posted this on a goat group on Facebook and everyone said their does do it when they are in heat. Acting like a buck.
She hasn’t been with a buck but I think she is coming out of heat.
Pretty sure it was nulfor.

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,077 Posts
Thanks for answering my questions Green Mountain Farms. Glad to hear it is most likely heat related behavior and not the UTI rearing it's ugly head again. Saw Nulfor was given once and just wasn't sure if it was decided to change to a different type of antibiotic for the second round. Hoping the doe continues to improve from here on out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts