Weirdest Chicken Egg ever

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by RunAround, Dec 23, 2008.

1. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    The weather has been crazy here. Last week we had 3 feet of snow and tomorrow it's supposed to be 60F :scratch:

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    we just started winter....

3. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    yep, all those photos of the snow :shocked: I wish we got snow here, the closest we get is hail lol

4. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    Lol keren, it hailed yesturday here..

5. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    hmph. Figures, you sydneysiders get all the rain :angry: lol

6. PiccoloGoat

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    :greengrin:

You can a bit of it :)

It poured down rain about 2 hours ago and its sunny and warm out again.

7. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    yeah.. think that Australian sun is getting to your heads.. although I thought that as first until i looked closer.

That egg is really interesting.. we've never exactly had one like that but we've had shell-less eggs.. heres a pic of one I found this summer.. only ever found about five of em, but none like this with a tail type thingy. My mom found a small really wierd shaped egg, it was like an oval, but with an extra round part almost closed off of it, we put it on the top of the egg bucket so it wouldn't break, and turned to get eggs on the hay wagon, turn around and a hen is running away with egg shell in her mouth - of all eggs she chose the cool one. still ticks me off.

--Sorry WAY too big but I can't get it resized .

[​IMG]

8. PiccoloGoat

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    eww that egg looks disgusting, Amos xD
    Turned me off eggs, for a while I think xD

9. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    One of the subjects I did last semester was Intensive Animal Production which had a chook module. One of our practicals was really interesting, they went to a commercial hatchery, and they gave us all the eggs from the incubator that didnt hatch. It was our job to open the eggs, determine how old the egg was, and give suggestions to the hatchery as to how to improve the hatch and at what level - the breeder or the hatchery, storage, incubator etc.

Anyway, there were a lot of infertile eggs which were kind of boring, but there were some awesome ones where the chicks were almost full term. There were:

* A few that were normally formed but just didnt get out of the egg quick enough before they suffocated
    * Quite a lot that had died a few days before full term, these were interesting because the abdominal cavity is not fully closed yet
    * One with his brain on the outside of his head
    * One with an extra pair of wings and extra pair of legs
    * One with two beaks

It was very interesting.

Another interesting thing I learned: when the chick is growing, it is using up the albumin and yolk, well when it 'runs out', it starts to starve and die, convulsing and thus its beak breaks through the inner membrane to the air space (at the blunt end of the egg). It then starts to breath with its beak in the air space, but after a while it uses up all the oxygen and carbon dioxide builds up, which is toxic, so the chick starts convulsing again, and hopefully manages to crack through the shell.

Cool, huh?

10. PiccoloGoat

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    Oh wow.
    Who thought an egg could be so..
    Interesting? xD
    I want a pet chick D=

11. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Talk about survival of the fitest!

Keren, why do you think that happened with the multiple parts? A lady we're good friends with that works at the local Runnings, where they occasionally sell chicks, she gave us a chick with three legs, it was doing fine but died after a week, I looked it over, turns out its asophogus (sp?) was partially closed and it couldn't get the chick feed down.

We have over 200 chickens and we've never had that happen, we've had an incubator for about 6-7 years now and hatched out many babies, whether they be geese, ducks, turkeys, peafowl, guineafowl, pheasants, or chickens, the eggs that don't hatch 10 days after the hatch date we crack (throw from a distance, incase they're rotton) either they've never been fertilized, or the chicks were partially formed, and either fried from it getting too hot in the shed, or died from it being too cold because of the electricity going out.

12. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Amos, I guess it depends on your sample size, we had about 600 unhatched eggs to play with from the commercial hatchery. Monsters like that arent all that common, occassionally they do hatch and survive but are euthanased in the hatchery when they are processed.

Rotten eggs arent as common as people think. out of that 600 I think we had two that were rotten (the technical term is bombs lol). They are caused by poor hygiene, eggs laid on dirty floor instead of nests, or getting dirty in the hatchery/incubator etc

13. Pam B

Pam B New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Southern Michigan
    Amos, your soft-shell egg with the tail was most likely caused by a lack of calcium on the part of the mom. I get that occasionally when my hens are running low on their oyster shell and some of the girls at the lower end of the pecking order aren't allowed near the feeder.

14. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
  15. DopeyOpie

DopeyOpie New Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Canada
    My parents raise ducks for eggs, and we've had some pretty weird ones before! One was a whole egg inside another egg. Both eggs had the white, yolk, and hard shell. It was really strange and sure surprising when we cracked it open!

16. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Ooooo..Dopey...Duck eggs are awesome! Very rich and they make the best egg noodles and pieroghies!

17. DopeyOpie

DopeyOpie New Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Canada
    Duck eggs are the best! They're wonderful for any baking especially. They're also much healthier for you than chicken eggs :wink:

18. farmgirl

farmgirl Guest

Jan 5, 2009
    Here I thought I had something to say, but looks like my sis beat me to it!
    I can tell you that your soft shelled/shell-less eggs are due to a lack of calcium.

Amos- We've had eggs like that, usually in birds that are pretty young/old or just not doing too well. Weird huh?