The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family and I were working outside today at the barn. I went into the goat pen and decided to check on one of our pygmy does, Chanel, who was due to kid in 6 days. I noticed that it looked like she had dropped and appeared to have a little goo you know where, but her udder was not full, so I didn't think anything of it. About a half hour later, while she was outside grazing, we noticed what looked like a long, big string of mucus looking stuff hanging out. We had never seen anything like this are were confused, but thought that maybe she was just losing her plug, just a little differently than we had ever seen before. A couple minutes later, she began walking and squatting like she was going to pee. She looked to be in pain, so we rushed over to observe. That's when I noticed a pair of hooves peaking out! We rushed her into the barn into a kidding pen and had to assist her in delivering a huge single buck (our third single buck of the season...). We knew she was done because he was quickly followed by the placenta...and then a second placenta! This was the weirdest thing I've ever seen. Has anyone had anything happen like this before or have any answers?

Here is a picture of the two placentas:

·
Goats of da UP
1,142 Posts
Makes me wonder if at one point, there was a second kid. Do goats, like humans, sometimes reabsorb an fetus that dies in utero?

·
Registered
29,926 Posts
are you sure there is not another kid in there...I would bouncing her. Stand behind her and give her a hug placing your hands around her belly just in front of thee udder...lift the tummy up and allow it to bounce down...keep you hands in place to feel any bouncing back...move your hands around a few different areas and repeat..in the mean time, have some one look around where she was grazing..make sure she didnt deliver a smaller baby first some where...

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I think I have heard of that before....

The pic isn't working for me though...

·
Registered
29,926 Posts
yes...they can reabsorb but I dont think there would be a full placenta :shrug:

·
Registered
151 Posts
I think I have heard of that before....

The pic isn't working for me though...
I can't see the picture either.. I would have to agree with happybleats. I'm not sure if there would be a full seconed placenta without a seconed kid. I would take a look around the pen if I were you. Hope everything works out for you. Oh and don't forget to post pictures of the buckling ;)

·
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
29,926 Posts
Most my goats deliver one placeta per kid lol....some times only two for triplets...only rarely do they have one with multiples...But I was told my girls are weird lol :p

The pix still do not show up from that link

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know goats are not the same as cows but my friend delivered one huge heifer and the cow passed two placentas and there was definitely only one calf. Maybe she did reabsorb though?

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
That is strange!
My girls have always delivered 1 placenta, regardless of # of kids.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts