Welcome from OK

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by ENC, Jan 2, 2010.

1. ENC

ENC New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    NE OK
    Hello I am a newer goat owner. I live in NE Oklahoma. Had a new little buckling born with no problems yesterday (See Avatar). Today I had a newer Nubian Boer cross doe deliver twins (buck and doe), anyway she completely ignored them acted like they didn't even exist, no matter what we tried. Her milk is veeerrry thick and syrupy??? I don't know if this just pure colostrum with no milk in with it or some other problem. Right now we are bottle feeding the two children with milk mainly from the nubian who delivered yesterday.

Anyway I just wanted to say Hi and I plan on staying and learning alot. I have a decent group of experienced people around home but it never hurts for a second opinion.

Hi and thanks for any advice and welcomes

Evan

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Welcome...Evan...glad to have you with us... :thumb: :thumbup: :wave:

Do you have the doe in a pen....with the baby ...for bonding?

IS she a 1st time mom?
    If she is a 1st timer ...she will have to be taught ..to be a momma ....you may have to tie her up each time for feeding....let the baby nurse... she may try to kick the baby off so you may have to hold her leg... eventually with patience ...she should get the idea...... :wink:

If her bag is full ...she may need relief..... and that might be why... she won't let the baby nurse....if that is the case ...milk out just enough ...that she isn't tender any more.... not that much.... you can feed it to the kid... but 1st... Try the kid on her teat ...when she is less tight.... or you can put the colostrum.. in the freezer.....

You say it is thick and syrupy....do you mean the color is off? or?

Thick and sticky is very normal...it is usually a light yellow color...

Does her udder feel hot ..look discolored.....or have hard tissue?

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  4. ENC

ENC New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    NE OK
    Yes she is a first time mom. I left her tied in one of the smaller birthing stalls that I have like a 8 by 8 area with her babies most of the day she wouldn't have anything to do with them. She just acted like they didn't even exist. The color is fine just very thick. It is far thicker than a can of sweetened condensed milk but the color is the same. I can milk her and only get maybe an ounce total off of both sides together. Her teats are cold to the touch unlike the Nubian which is warm but not hot. I have saved some of the colostrum in the freezer and all kids have had some. She just isn't producing any volume or thin enough for the kids to be satisfied.

Thanks for the advice. I am working on getting some good quality pictures to share.

Evan

5. Well welcome! I am glad you found us. I am in your area too. Very cool. If she is ignoring them that much I would stick to the bottle feeding. But that is me. They will stay wormer this way anyhow since they more then likly will be in doors. :thumb: I am very glad you are here and I will have to get with you on one of those goats. I have been wanting a moonspotted goat for a while now.

6. ENC

ENC New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    NE OK
    Yes we are just bottle feeding the two now with a combination of gallon store milk and fresh nubian. Well another of my Nubians went into Labor last night about two weeks early. I guess when one falls they all fall. Going to be a long day with 4 inches of fresh snow on the ground and new years babies.

Evan

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh fun fun fun :GAAH: :kidblack: :kidblack: :kidblack:

8. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

Welcome & congrats on the new kids! The goat in your avatar is darling! Have fun with bottlefeeding! Do you have a lot of does due to kid still? I raise Nigerians but kidding won't start until May--thank goodness since the weather here in northern Minnesota has been some 30 BELOW the past few nights and the high for so far today is -6! UGH! I hope the cold snap ends within the week!! My nigerian dwarf girls have been locked up in an unheated insulated barn & that is actually staying at 20 above.

9. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Welcome to TGS!! :wave: That baby in your avatar is adorable!!

10. ENC

ENC New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    NE OK
    I only have one other goat that I got already bred (trying to broaden the gene pool a bit). She is due toward the end of Feb, but the previous owner said the same of her sister??? The rest that were bred under my supervision won't be till late march to late may. I will not ever breed by choice for cold weather babies, it is just too much worry. The one in my avatar I hope will grow to be the new herd buck not being related to any of my other does except his mom. My current buck is going to be 4 this year but he has to many daughters in my group to risk any problems. He is also a spotted Nubian.

Evan

11. Evan,

I sent you a PM but please tell me more about your farm and if you will be selling any kids? Do you have a site together? I would love to learn more, please PM me so I can see if I have any options. It is so cool that you are close by. Thanks.

12. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Welcome to TGS! Glad to have you :) Congrats on the new babies, bottle fed or otherwise :stars:

13. ENC

ENC New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    NE OK
    can't use PM's till 25 posts (i'm working on that) you can email me encrosby AT yahoo DOT com remove the space and fix the punctuation.

Evan

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    J.D ENC cant read you PM because they do not have enough post to unlock that feature. try sending an email instead

15. :ROFL: :slapfloor: LOL I am an idiot. I forgot about that all together I was so exsited. Will email...thanks and sorry for being such a dope. LOL

16. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Hi! I'm also from OK, and breed Nubian goats. I live in Central OK. I absolutely LOVE that little buck in your avatar! If you have anymore like him born let me know, as I'm looking for a new buck as mine just passed away.

17. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Is it possible to have the other mom's take a baby? I know you said you have tried to tie mom up and she still has no interest. Well I was going to say keep trying to milk her out and put some of the milk on the babies head, back and butt, but it should like they have the others moms milk scent now.

I love the baby in your Avatar, what a doll.