Well, I may get some more goats tomorrow

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Lawanda, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    Or sometime this week...

It is actually a very sad situation. Our preacher (who is also my husbands boss) told me this evening that his neighbors are possibly wanting to get rid of their goats. The son who is late 20s, had a tree fall on him, and has very little chance of survival. :(

He wasn't sure how many there are, though he did say there are at least 5. But I am hoping to be able to bring them all home.

Is there anything I need to know about joining two herds? As usual I know nothing of this herd at all...

2. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Quarenteen them from your current herd. I would say ninety days to be safe. I would run fecals on the new herd....looking for cocci and worms. A good foot trimming is probably in order and making sure they dont have hoof rot. Just basically making sure their health is in order before exposing them to the goats you have.
    beth

3. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    That's just terrible. I hope he does pull through. Good luck with your new goats.

4. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    You can never have enough goats, just space for all of them :roll: Keep the new addition in quarantine and inspect then for any problems. I would keep them apart for 3-4 weeks if this is possible. I would get med records and if none I would give them a de-wormer and get them their standard shots. All the best, sounds like you will have fun with them.