Well, I need advice - AGAIN

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by goatweed, Nov 25, 2009.

1. goatweed

goatweed New Member

Feb 29, 2008
    I know it seems I never post unless I have trouble, but all other answers seem to be on here somewhere. Not confident enough yet to offer advice so I just read, read, and read.
    Anyway, Zoie (little orphan from my other post) is doing great. I've got pics now. I'll get them posted. On to my current problem.
    I've got a doe who went off feed Monday. She still browsed some and wasn't going downhill. Eyelids were good. I assumed she was in heat and just doing her thing. Last night she didn't want feed so I checked her again and she still looked fine.
    Well, this morning she had a HUGE pile of poo. Very large pile. About the consistency of a cow's. Then I saw some other spots where she had obvious diarrhea. She still didn't want feed, but was still chewing on a little grass. She is still up with enough energy to run from me!
    I am thinking worms or cocci. Any other inputs? The huge pile she left is kinda puzzling for me. It's almost like she was stopped up and something finally broke it loose.
    I thought I would ask and see if maybe it was something I had never heard of (which could be almost anything at this point) before I treated her for worms and/or cocci.
    Let me know, please.
    Thanks
    GW

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Don't worry about the questions ....that is what we are here for.... :hug:

If you can get a fecal done.....it will tell you exactly... what to treat for.....it could be either...
    it takes the guess work out of it.... :wink:

HAve you taken her temp?

3. goatweed

goatweed New Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Couldn't catch her and didn't want to stress her COMPLETELY out. I figure if she has enough energy to run like she was, then she will be fine until this afternoon when I can spend the time to coax her up.

The huge pile ring any bells? Every heard of one just blowing out like that. If you have ever seen a dog with parvo "blow out" that is what is was like.

4. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    I have several thoughts ...she ate some browse that did not agree with her, she has some kind of worm overload or has coccidiosis. Keep a sharp eye on her as cocci can make them real sick in a hurry. How were her stools days before?

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I agree with getting a fecal run. It could be as simple as she ate something that didnt agree with her, or too much of something. causing a tummy ache. Offer her some baking soda. Does she stand all hunched up with the hair on her face puffed out?
    It could also be a worm or cocci overload. Check her eye lids and gums to see how pink they are.
    beth

6. goatweed

goatweed New Member

Feb 29, 2008
    I dont recall seeing them, but there were no "piles" or "patties" anywhere. So either they were berries or nothing at all.

Her color was fine last night. I will check again this evening. She stands and looks normal with the exception of her head kinda drooping because she doesn't feel good.

7. goatweed

goatweed New Member

Feb 29, 2008
    New theory.
    ACORNS. Lots of them. anyone seen this happen? She is just crunching them left and right. I think the soda is a little old out there so I will change it and see if she takes to it.

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Too much of anything can cause a problem, the cow pie like poop is her bodie's way of getting rid of the "food" that caused her the problem. As long as she is drinking enough water and eating a bit of probiotic paste would help put the good bacteria back into her gut to help with the over indulgence upset. Also, make sure she's eating hay as the dry fiber will do her better than the fresh greens. If the diarhea turns watery, dose her with some pepto bismol and have a fecal run, the pepto will firm up her stools enough to prevent dehydration until a course of action can be taken as per the fecal results. Pepto dose is 30cc for adult goats.

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    make sure she's drinking plenty, and maybe add some electrolytes so she'll stay hydrated. Probios paste wouldnt hurt and it will help her out :thumb: hope all goes well.

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    It very well could be the Acorns. I will say what the other said. Get a fecal on her. I would get her temp, you need to know what it is. Also I have seen and heard or goats having good color and still have a high word problem, so don't only go by the eye color.
    I would make sure she has baking soda out. She needs to have it if she wants it, also I would maybe offer her some tums.

I will agree with Pam. PLEASE do not feel bad about asking questions. That is what this forum is for, we all have questions and lots of them, so please keep asking.

11. goatweed

goatweed New Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Update-
    Life is good. I simply monitored her closely for a few days and we have had no problems since that day. I really think it was Acorn Overload. I'm gonna keep an eye on her, but I think we are all good now. Thank you all very much for your help.

GW