Well, I picked up Anna today ...

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by keren, Jan 6, 2009.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    So I just recently got home after about 12 hrs of driving in 40 degree heat (thats celcius btw), took a lamb up with me to sell to a lady in the same area, and brought anna back, on the backseat of my hatchback.

Was just a wee bit peeved to note that she's got an undershot jaw ... unfortunately I had already agreed and driven all that way ... if she was closer I would have just said no.

To me, that is a cull fault I dont even think about registering anything with that.

Ah well, will just have to be super critical about her offspring. But that means I dont get to show her like I was intending (sorry Alyssa) :(

2. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    oh wow thats a bummer.
    Maybe her kids will be good? :)

3. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    On the plus side, I just milked her tonight and she gave me 1.05L (1.1 quarts) and that was only after 8 hrs filling (I milked her before we travelled, for comfort) and without a grain ration, only grass, plus she has been feeding two kids till now, and on top of that the stress of travelling and the heat ...

she was a little witch to milk though. She is used to a head bail and milk stand, neither of which I have. I have a collar, lead and a fence lol

4. PiccoloGoat

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    oo miss Anna not happy xD

5. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    oh no, miss anna has no manners, miss anna-no-manners, ha ha ha oh boy I think I need some sleep

miss anna is a little spoiled princess, and is going to learn some manners over the next few days lol

I dont think she was bottle fed, she's not that friendly or people orientated, she's quiet enough she just likes to do what she wants

6. PiccoloGoat

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    yes send her to keren boarding school.
    I know EXACTLY what you do to your goats when noone is watching :wink:

7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Haha you got me :oops: but she wont get that kind of 'boot camp' because she's not being nasty or anything. That other goat was really nasty, deliberately aiming to hurt me.

She will just get lots of firm handling, she is going to learn that I am the boss. That she needs to walk where I want to walk and not barge off dragging me, that 'stand' means she needs to stand still, and that milking can be done even without a milking stand lol

8. PiccoloGoat

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    Wow keren is milking without a stand even possible? :ROFL:

9. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I consulted Anna and this was her response:

"Milking ... ok you wanna milk me ... right, where's the stand? Huh, there's no stand. Well then, there's no milking ... dont you dare touch my udder when I'm just standing on the ground ... and conning me with food isnt gonna help ... you need a milk stand ... oh and by the way, this table you tied me to ... not only can I wriggle under it and climb on top, I can also drag it halfway across the backyard ... snort"

Oh yeah did I forget to mention she snorts at me? Charming creature this one :) Thank goodness all that business with the table happened AFTER I had got the milk safely out of the way.

She likes Maccas chips and the bun from the cheeseburger, turned her nose up at the pickles (clever) and also likes Tasmanian White Cherries. I found most of this out in the Yass Maccas drive through when she just about jumped into my lap when she smelled the food, and her eyes were budging out of her head.

10. PiccoloGoat

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    LMAO!
    maccas chips are to die for. She has good taste.
    I think turning the table upside down, then tying her legs to the legs might work xD

11. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    lol that would work but I think I will just use the fence next time. I only used the table cos it was near the spotlight, I couldnt be bothered finding a torch and I dont have a solid fence near the light

I think I better go to bed, I'm stuffed to put it mildly. Catch ya tomorrow!

EDIT to say I was in your neck of the woods today Alyssa, well kinda anyway since Anna came from Dural.

12. PiccoloGoat

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    haha dont know where that is :ROFL:

13. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    You serious?

roflmao

Google map it ... its like, one of the little satellite towns around sydney. Really pretty place, I highly recommend it, but by the look of the houses and people and properties, you kinda need to be pretty well off to live there ...

14. PiccoloGoat

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    yee i will.
    I guess its a bit like kurrajong then. Posh country etc etc

15. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    That's great that you got her! :) That does really stink about the undershot jaw. . . . did you happen to get a lower price with her having that fault?

Have you considered building a milk stand? They are pretty easy to do. . . . I am so happy with our two stands! I tried to trim Sassy's udder this morning without the stand - she told me that ain't happening! But I got it done. . . . wasn't easy. ;)

16. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I am going to go talk to my welder today ... I am not handy that way I cant really build stuff ... well I can but it wont last.

She wasnt quite as bad this morning

17. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I used the Fiasco Farm plans for a milk stand and it was really easy to build! You basically just need a wooden fence post for the legs - cut into four equal lengths, then a sheet of thick ply for the table - put a fence post leg at each corner, and screw that on. Put diagonal pieces of wood to keep the legs straight, and an upright to tie the goat's collar to - or do the proper open gate thingy for its head, tisnt hard either. Anyway as said, the Fiasco Farms plan is what I used =]
    LW