We'll miss you girls...

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by Muddy Creek Farm, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    As some of you know I was in Iowa until today at 8:00 pm. I came home and I could tell something was wrong. My dad (who has been taking care of the goats) was quiet and just off. So when we asked how the goats were he broke down and cried, so obviously I new something was wrong. He handed me a letter which he had written. I got through the first paragragh and it said Upset and Isabel died.

Saturday night we had a very big storm and the power went out, my dad is very good at looking after the goats and checks on them several times a day. I have a German Shepherd named Quincy and he loves 'his' goats and looks after them (from the outside of the fence). My dad said that Quincy wouldn't come up onto the porch that night, and that is very unlike him. But since the power went out it was hard for him to see outside so he could'nt see that the barn door had come unlatched. So the next morning he said Janna was outside (this is 6 in the morning) so he ran to her and put her inside the barn, and he didn't see Upset so he panicked and ran down the hill to our creek (which is down a very steep long hill) were he saw Upset laying in the creek, dead, he carried her up the hill slipping and sliding. Then he noticed Isabel was missing, so he went back down and found her down the creek from where he had found her mom (Upset) so he carried her up the hill also. He dug a grave in the pouring rain. He keeps saying it was his fault that he didnt think something was wrong when Quincy didnt come onto the porch. He loves the goats, mostly because I do. He is allergic to all of our animals so they have to be outdoor animals (all except Tyson) so he has to wear a mask while around the goats and in the barn.

I don't blame him in the slightest. I just wish it didn't happen to them. Especially since Upset was 54 days away from kidding.

Chelsey

I will miss you girls very much.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    OH MY CHELSEY HOW SO SORRY I AM!!!! :blue: :cry:

OH boy how terrible you dad must feel!

3. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Hopefully 2008 will be a better year for us. This was our first loss (in the goat business). Izzy was the first goat born here. And her mom was one of our first goats. I will miss them so much.
    Thanks Stacie.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    A loss like that one never leaves you. When I lost our first kid born on our farm tragically at just under 4 years old it hurt deep and it still does almost 7 years later. I had a simular situation with my mom blaming herself for the death.

You will always carry them in your heart.

5. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Oh my gosh that is terrible! I am so sorry Chelsey, what a horrible way to come home.
    ((((((Hugs)))))))

6. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Thanks guys. I know it would have happened whether I was here of not, I guess it's a good thing I wasn't here. I never had to see them. It seems so empty in the barn now, without them around.

You just never expect something like this to happen.

7. Tera

Tera New Member

Dec 20, 2007
    near Texarkana, TX
    I'm so sorry for your loss. :( It never helps at first, but it does get easier, and you'll always have the memories.

8. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Oh that is such a horrible thing to have happen- I am so sorry that you had that loss and pleae give your father my sympathy too- I'm sure he feels bad on so many levels.

9. LiddleGoteGurl

LiddleGoteGurl New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    Oh Chelsey!!!!!! I AM SO SORRY!!!! This is making me cry. I wish I was there to give you a hug girl. I can't even imagine how you feel!!! Losing your babies is the hardest thing to deal with. I just don't even know what to say.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))) girlie!!!!

10. LiddleGoteGurl

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    Also, I wanted to tell you that my friend Christy also says she is sooooo sorry!!! We feel so horrible Chelsey.

11. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Thanks guys so much. I'm crying too. I'm just glad my dad didn't tell me till I got home. I know it must have been tearing him up inside thinking of how he would tell us.
    I need all the hugs I can get!!!

I love my family (extended family) but they just don't get the goat thing. A few of my cousins didn't even know I had goats...

I love the goat spot. There is so much support here. And people who LOVE goats just as much as I do!!!

12. LiddleGoteGurl

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    Oh I know. My extended family is exactly the same. It is kind of frustrating, but hey at least we have each other here! Otherwise I would go nuts.

Oh Chels. You poor, poor thing. It is so hard to express how I feel over the internet! Aggh. More ((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))) and tons of prayers coming your way. And yeah, your poor dad. I feel really bad for him too! Make sure he knows that you don't feel any remorse towards him in any way. He prolly needs just as many hugs as you.
    More ((((((((HUGS)))))))))!!!

13. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    My heart goes out to you and your dad. What an odd thing to happen. I am so sorry for your loss.

14. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I know it was very weird. I have had something similar happen in a storm much like this one (before I got goats). A week after I got my dogs Quincy and Heidi we had a storm and their pen got busted from a tree falling on it. We didn't lose either of them, but it definatly gave us a scare.

Thanks again guys!

15. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Oh Chelsey!! I'm am SO sorry! (((HUGS)))

16. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Wow chelsey, how sad for your whole family, especially for you and your dad. Im really sorry. Wasn't isabel the white goat that you posted on your post where you had a bunch of goats pictures? The onew that i liked so much?
    What a terrible loss. Its never easy. My thoughts are with you and your family and your goats.
    beth

17. hornless

hornless New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oh, I'm so sorry :hug: It's so hard to lose them...

18. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Oh Chelsey!! I'm so sorry you lost them, the first one is always the hardest, and Izzy and Upset were so pretty. :hug: It'll be ok.

19. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Yes Izzy was the white junior doe in the pics.

The first day was the worst. Janna is acting sore, so we have been watching her. I don't have a clue why she is though... I couldn't take losing her too.

20. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    What is the acting like? Just off? Or sore like limping or hurt to the touch? I would start her on Aconitum right away if you have it, that is for when they start to get sick, and also since what happened does count as a shock to her. Was she barnmates with Izzy at all? Is she sad about losing her? If she is, the Aconitum should help some, but if you had Ignatia I would give that to her instead. A B shot wouldnt' hurt also.