The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't you all just love those days where you plan to get a lot done, and then mother nature has other plans?

I planned on trimming feet/checking feet, treating most everyone with their routine Cylence treatment. New buck is getting another lice treatment to make sure he's rid of them. We have 2 adult does that don't seem to do well with Cylence as a preventative so I use permectrin type dip that I make on them.

Check eyelids, and collect a few fecal samples since it's that time of year...

Hoof trimmers were broken <spring is missing...bleh!>, so I had to run to TSC and get a new pair.
Get home, get the first doe done. THUNDER. Great!
Get the 2nd doe out, she has HORRIBLE feet. Thunder is getting closer & louder.
I accidentally cut too deep and make her bleed pretty badly, felt bad, but she'd be fine.
Get her done, Cylence treatment, and it started raining/storming as soon as my son got her into the barn.

So...I've been sitting here for an hour now. Waiting. and Waiting. And waiting for the rain to end.

9 more goats to go!

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol yep Karen!

Well I decided to take it as a loss, changed out of my work clothes...grabbed a late lunch.
And what happens? I sit back down at my desk and the sun is shinning again LOL

I still have a little bit of time. I may suck it up, change and get back to work lol

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, and it's been crazy like that here lately.
It's been such a strange year with the weather, I'm still waiting for 'true' summer to start! Almost afraid to wonder what fall will bring or winter for that matter!

I was able to get back out and trim the other 9 goats feet & get their monthly Cylence treatment, so I felt like I accomplished something lol

Then of course, we were getting ready to leave about 6:20pm to go to my son's school to get his schedule/meet teachers, and it started to storm again! Lightning was very intense cloud/ground. Rain was very very heavy. We saw a cloud/ground lightning strike and saw something light up on the ground, not like a transformer, it was very localized, makes me wonder what it hit.

When we arrived at the school we saw a very low hanging wall cloud, it was freaky! Some people were taking pictures of it. All I know is, there were no tornado warnings, but with the lightning storm coming right behind us, I just wanted my kids inside lol
Worst of the storm went around the school thankfully, but did get 2.45" of rain from that one!

We got 2.01" at our house!

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Well, I feel better knowing that I'm not the only one having a very strange summer! :laugh:

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I feel better knowing that I'm not the only one having a very strange summer! :laugh:
I hear ya, haha. It's been so weird, even this past spring. We usually have a lot of pop up/severe thunderstorms in the spring, and I think this is the first spring I can ever remember there not being any bad storms hit us/any kind of tornado watch/warning.
Then the summer has felt like spring.

I have to say though, the 'Bluegrass' of Kentucky is just absolutely stunning right now. All the lush pastures of the best thoroughbred horse farms in the country are just magnificent looking ♥♥♥

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I think all of the pop-up thunderstorms moved north this year. :laugh: Almost everyday this whole summer, between 3 and about 6, it clouds up and rains anywhere from a few sprinkles to a downpour of about 30 minutes duration - not enough to do any real good given the drought conditions, but more than enough to royally screw up the hay. :rolleyes: That is very unusual for us. Another weird thing is that the wind is blowing almost exclusively out of the east. Normally the only time we have wind out of the east is when it's blowing in a storm. We've also had a lot of days this July and August when the temps don't get above about 85, and that is unheard of here! Our usual temps for July and August are high 90's to 100+. It's been a very strange summer all the way around!

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree. We usually don't see anything come from the east at all, most everything comes from the west/northwest/south/southwest. This year we've had at least 2 storms come from the east.

They said yesterday the rain total was 3-4 inches for our area. Crazy, we don't typically see that kind of weather outside of March/April and maybe Oct.

Forecast is calling for much of the same today that we had yesterday. Then tomorrow it cools off into the 70s. I believe some areas are forecast to have record lows this week into the upper 40s! So, so strange this weather is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts