The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've always dewormer orally. I had a couple that had pretty pale eyelids (we basically had no winter here and a very rainy spring so worms are ridiculous right now). I injected iconic plus at 1 cc per 40 lbs and you would have thought I killed my does! Screaming, falling on their sides rubbing...can I say DRAMA QUEENS!!

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
I have not heard of iconic plus?? Ivomac plus (maybe you meant that?) It does sting and some goats do act out, never like yours ...others dont seem to mind..I did have a pygmy once who would lay in my lap and cry for a bit...she was a bit spoiled...I give it where they neck meets the body in the loose skin..seems to have less effect. I get them walking as soon as I give it to help work it through faster...Im sorry they took it so bad....I hate that but Iv. + injected does a good job..and its only a few minutes of drama...

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. I meant ivomec plus (silly spell check). The two I dosed are my more vocal girls. They were so bad! Literally reared up, fell on their sides, and rubbed and screamed. I gave it in the pouch of skin above the front leg.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
My yearling doe doesn't even take it well orally. She rears and shakes and basically flips out. Luckily they get over it quickly and won't hold it against you for long. I usually give mine a treat for taking their meds like big girls... even if they don't take the meds like a big girl. ;)

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
I figure if my kids have to have shots, even if they cry and carry on..we still drag them into the dr office..my goats can handle something that I know they need..I wonder though....its it bad to feel more sympathy for the goats then my kids lol..:eek:

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
My wether, Captain, fell to his side screaming after a shot of banamine (We were about to band him). FREAKED us out!! Flung open the doe door and let him drink from momma, then he was fine. :)

·
RussellP
536 Posts
I know what you mean ogfabby, I am in east tennessee and it is worm central over this way. I wish some effort would go into producing an effective wormer that could be mixed with sweet feed. Possibly a pleasant tasting powder we could measure and sprinkle onto a small amount of treat. The injections are just so stressful for everyone involved, and we already have a problem or we wouldn't be giving the shots! They could charge a high price and those if us who love the animals in our care would pay for the convenience.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
yep, no matter how in your face friendly they are...if need to give meds, they will run..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts