The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We lost My Little Angel today. She was perfectly healthy and doing almost too good lately. She had only been bred once in her life and required a c-section and was never bred again. Every since then she always had a larger rumen on her one side left after surgery but was completely fine. . . Until today. I let the all out after I fed and was letting them free range between the big field and the feed lot. I had to run out with the husband to meet a person. After getting back I went to help my dad with some siding on his house and he shouts that she wasn't moving.

I ran out to her and it appears her pushy nature this past week may of lead to her death. She ruptured internally and it seems like when one of the others hit back must of side swiped her in the process. I am blown away. I was not ready for this. I had been preparing to lose a goat but was expecting my old girl to be the one was lost not my baby. She was the only boer I had with my Nubians and they always were a bit meaner to her but never to the point of being aggressive but normally just trying to steal her feed and leave her alone in the field.

Sorry know this is a long post but still in shock and trying to figure out what has happened in my life.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I’m so sorry for your loss, I am a new goat mom and have only had mine for 2 years and hope I never have to loose one of my precious little babies but things happen like with your little Angel. I’m sure you are very heartbroken the Lord knows I would be.
I hope things get better for you.
Hugs sent your way🥰

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your kind words. She was my baby. When she was little she actually stayed in the house with me and was littler boxed trained for at night and during the day we would go out and graze with the other goats until she got bigger and accepted by them. She was the one that always rode in the truck and car with me everywhere while on the bottle. She was very special to me. I just feel so bad that the last conversation I had with her this morning was lecturing her not to be mean to the old girl by trying to steal her feed. I still can't believe she is gone. She was only about 9 years old.

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,719 Posts
So, so very sorry. I have lost my babies out of the blue before too....and its not fun.....no time to say goodbye...no time to prepare.......no time for nothing. I'm truly sorry. Im sure she is thinking about you right now, remembering all the good times she rode around with you amd what a good friend you were to her. Im very sorry.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really think that has been the hardest part was not having any time to prepare. The shock of it all. If my phone would let me I would post a picture but that option is non clickable on my phone. She had a very healthy coat and her famacha has been great. Every since the old girl started not eating her grain well I have checked eye colors daily. My LGD's are taking it harder than the other goats are. My Angel was the one that they were with when adjusting to the farm as pups. Since she was the most laid back goat I had and those dogs never wanted her out of their site. I have shut them all up in the feed lot and probably won't let them free range till next Saturday to hopefully give them time to stop searching for her.

Thank you all for the kind words. I feel like a drama queen as I know being a "farmer" things will die especially when you keep them as a forever home. But she was different, she was my baby, my friend, my little Angel. When we lived on the old farm 80 acres I could walk out and yell "Angel" and she would yell back and bring the herd back to the barn for me. I will miss her "talking" to me as she was more vocal than my Nubians believe it or not.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you both. Back in the day I had planned to go to vet school. Worked as a vet tech was learning the trade and even was dealing with the long hours and hard work. But time after time after time seeing how cold you had to make your heart in certain cases to put an animal down when they could of been saved but the owners wouldn't want to try changed my mind. I had rescued several horses because their owners wanted them out down for various reasons. . . A colt blinded from hitting it's head in a stall, blind filly and her companion, old brood Mare that wouldn't catch in foal any more etc.. the list went on and on. I questioned myself on being able to do the job for the long haul, so instead I went into science/research and later teaching.

I didn't want to become cold hearted and always get "to attached" as my hubby says, but then he is the same way with the cats and dogs.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you all. It's hard, I went out to give them a mid day snack since we are off today for the holiday and still carried out too many bags of raisins for this week's treat. I always had to prebag them to be sure everyone got a fair amount. Then we had to split Angel' s bag.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts