Well this sucks!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by mistyblue, Aug 23, 2010.

1. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    We went out Sunday afternoon to draw blood on all the goats for our CAE testing and noticed that one of our 6 month old doelings has a lump on her neck.

We now have our first case of CL. This really sucks, I am not sure how she got it. The only thing that I can think of is that I brought it in on my shoes after visiting a friends place that had CL.

Luckly it was caught early and we have now moved her to the house to keep a eye on her. When it is ready, we will lance, doctor, and put her in the isolation pen until she is healed up.

I am so upset over this, I have not had a case in three years that I have had goats and had hoped that we would not have one.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I am glad you are taking precautions but you cant just say its CL without having it tested. I would do a blood draw on her for CL or try to get the gunk from the abscess and have that tested. YOu will know more conclusive what you are dealing with.

3. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Good point Stacey. I will call my vet and see if they will do a CL test. If not I do not know who to send it to.

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Sent it to Washington State. They take owner sampling unlike Cornell

Davis University also takes owner sampling I do believe.

5. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Ok, so I just look up Davis University and get their mailing address?

I might just do that instead of going through the vet, will probably be cheaper anyways.

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I know I have used Washington State and I presume it will be the same with UC Davis that you need to fill out the forms and mail that in with your submission.

7. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    I was able to look up UC Davis's info and got the forms that I need. Will be drawing a sample this evening and sending it off.

I really hope that this will be our last case of this. I have tried to be so carefull and just never thought of bringing it in on my shoes, if that is how she got it.

8. DRJ Ranch

DRJ Ranch New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Anderson, California
    I have alot of vistors that come to our place either to buy hay, get us to build them something or pick up stuff out of the garden and Im always worried with each new person introduced to our location that our heard will get CL.

I try to keep them safe but you never know what will happen.

9. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    You need to have the stuff from the abscess cultured. The blood tests are so inaccurate that my vet won't do them. And he won't cull an animal based on a blood test. I think you need a vet to do it, if only so you know the spot is cleaned out and doesn't have any more CL bacteria in it. But also so the sample is handled correctly and not contaminated before it gets to the lab. The culture is the only reliable test.

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I would never assume it was CL without a test like Stacey said.

I have had people swear they had CL and it was a splinter. They can get them all over.

11. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    So, I need to pull the fluid from the lump? I have already called around and none of our vets will do this, so I will be taking the sample and sending it off.

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes you can lance it or you can drawl up the gunk in a syringe. You will need like an 18 gage needle

13. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    I have a 18 gauge needle, so I will pull from the abcess and send it off.

14. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Use a sterile technique to avoid contamination of the sample being drawn, you can use a red top tube to inject the fluid into for testing too. Wear gloves, have paper towels handy and just as an in case, spread newspaper on the floor of the area you will be working in. Burn everything afterwards.

Shave the area, cleanse with rubbing alcohol and have the goat held tight, you don't want to poke yourself or any area of the goat that's not supposed to be poked. Also, be warned that once you open the area, it may end up festering and breaking in a couple weeks, even if you are careful about introducing bacteria into it. DON'T stress over the results until you get them, it will just make you crazy with worry and will likely end up being something as easily treated as a staph infection. :hug:

15. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Thanks Liz, I will be sure to take all the precations as I do not want this spreading. I am not stressing to hard about this yet, just kinda blue about it.

16. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It's hard to not be scared, BUT take heart in knowing that you have kept a clean herd this long, the chances of it being Cl are still there but not likely :hug:

Where is this lump?

17. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    The lump is on the right side of her neck just at the jawline. I will take a picture and post it tomorrow if that will help. It is not a large lump yet, and is still soft.

18. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Isolate her if you can, so if it ruptures it isn't where your other animals are. Preferably in a place you don't have to use. Then once you get the results if it is nothing it is fine and if it is CL you haven't risked contaminating your herd.

Jan

19. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    I have a isolation pen that we use for new goats coming in or for sick goats. This is where she is at right now, we made sure it was a good distance from the other goats and it is used for nothing else but this.

20. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    What did the lump turn out to be?