Well water and mineral deficiencies

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by bagelbeagle, Jul 5, 2020.

1. bagelbeagle

bagelbeagle New Member

May 4, 2020
    Michigan
    Hi, just a few quick questions here! I have really hard well water, heavy in iron and calcium. I've heard that can cause some mineral deficiencies, especially copper, and my goats are recovering from what I assume are copper deficiencies (they all have very visible fish tails). Because of this, how often should I be giving copper boluses? How quickly should it be before they start to regrow the hair on their tails? Are there any other mineral deficiencies I should be looking out for due to the well water and how to spot them?
    Their mineral right now is Manna Pro because that's about all I can find where I live that I don't have to have shipped in. However, I've heard from on here that it isn't the best brand and is pretty expensive, so I'm looking into getting Purina Wind and Rain shipped in since I've heard that it works good for goats, even though it's for cattle, and I can't get Sweetlix or Cargill Onyx around here.
    Given this, how often should I supplement my goats with zinc, copper, and selenium? Oh, I have Alpines and a Nigerian dwarf, by the way.
    Thanks for the help!

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    After giving copper bolus it will take several weeks at least to see improvement and as long as 3 months. When recovering from severe deficiency, you'll have to give more copper bolus more frequently until they are "caught up" , then it should become more of a maintenance dose. I would expect, based on other owners experience with high iron water, that you would need to give it 3-5 times per year but it's fairly individual for each herd based on mineral levels in hay, browse, and fees as well!

There is a lot of trash talk about Manna Pro minerals on the forum but honestly the formula has vastly improved over the years and goats LIKE it. If that's what is easy for you to obtain, don't feel guilty using it. In my area it costs about $1.75 per pound versus about $1.00 per pound for Sweetlix Meat Maker. In small herds that price difference won't be much over a year.

3. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Try to find Purina Goat Mineral - it’s actually pretty good against well water!! Manna Pro can be used along with well water - but it is super low in selenium and iodine so I would get a selenium and iodine salt lick separately.

Order a horse hydrator filter from tractor supply - it will help with the iron!!

When did you last bolus and how much? Photos of the goats please?I would say on average, it takes about a month to see improvement.

With my well water, I bolus every 3-4 months. Fishtails take forever to correct, judge coat condition and color before the fishtails.

Selenium can be Replamin weekly, selenium/e gel monthly-ish, or BoSe injections.

Zinc - I like TruCare4 (which also has some copper so be cautious when bolusing as well), Zinpro40 worked okay for me - and some on the forum like human zinc pills.

But I need to see your goats to see if any of that is necessary.

Moers kiko boars and Iluvlilly! like this.
  4. bagelbeagle

bagelbeagle New Member

May 4, 2020
    Michigan
    They all just got boluses about two weeks ago, and I just did the 2g boluses for the kids, 4g for the doe, although I'm pretty sure that's under-dosing for them, so next time, I plan on actually calculating the amount, but I just wanted to get something in them.
    In the attached pictures, the dark brown alpine and the nigerian are my boys, the rest are my girls. The alpine-lamancha mixes are the doe's kids. Not sure if you can see this from the pics, but most of them came to me with horribly overgrown hooves. I've been working on them, but I'm new to goats, so I'm still learning, and I assume mineral intake also affects hoof quality.

Attached Files:

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  5. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    All need selenium as well - may want to get them started on some!!

Calculate the amount of copper at 1gram per 22lbs.

What are the boys’ diets? Well water poses a risk for urinary calculi if not well balanced.

6. bagelbeagle

bagelbeagle New Member

May 4, 2020
    Michigan
    I give them a mix of mostly Timothy pellets, a half scoop of 16% protein feed with ammonium chloride in it, and some BOSS. The Nigerian had calf manna for a while because he was pretty underweight when I got him, and he's off it now. They also have full access to pasture all day.