The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend had offered us a 5 month old Great Pyrenees pup..but we declined. I wasn't ready to mess with a pup. Then we lost Timothy and I was once again faced with the fact that we have no protection here by summer when my son moves away with his dog. Penelope is the only remaining big dog (a great Dane) who is too old to man the fort. Even our donkeys are old. Sooooo. I was talked into going and meeting the pup. Well Sadie is wonderful. Super calm..beautiful..fluffy and those eyes!! Soft and tender. Then there was Sybil. Her sister. Rambunctious, playful, touch me..see me..love me lol...my friend said..you know they really work best as a team and these two have run together since being born. So..yup. we didn't bring home one pup. We brought two. And love them both already. Hubs will be building a dog house tomorrow since work got in the way this week.
Dog Dog supply Carnivore Fence Pet supply

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
This makes me so happy. I was wondering if you’d come home with a pup today. Nope, you came home with a pair of pups. Lol! They are beautiful and look like they’ve already got enough size on them to scare away some predators and as a team, they’ll likely be full on working in no time.

(ETA: My LGD was 5 months old when I brought him home. It was honestly a great age to get him. Young enough to bond to the stock, old enough to train, and was working with my full trust within a month or so).

·
Super Moderator
35,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The girls are doing well. They are super sweet. Dont give a second thought with the birds. Had to calm them when they saw the cat, but both were very gentle with her, (dog friendly cats here lol) We still keep a leash on them because if they take off, They may not come back lol. And they do not like the donkeys ...they bark at them. So got to get them comfortable with eachother. My son's dog and Penelope are good with them..all in all I think they will work out great. Sadie is super chill...she also scares easier..Sybil is more adventurous and in your face. So im betting she will be more work lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Oh, they are so adorable. Leashes are a great idea at this stage. I did the same thing and only had one to keep track of. It sounds like introductions are going great.

Sadie has the sweetest look. I had a dog named Sadie growing up and she was the kindest little soul. And you will likely have your hands full with sassy Sybil but she’ll also probably be the boldest protector. I bet they are going to make such an awesome protection force on your farm.

Do they annoy Penelope? Or does she like them?

·
Super Moderator
35,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes..their personalities balance each other out lol. Penelope doesn't want to be bothered much by them..but she does ok. She's aged so much it seems since loosing her brother. 😔 I'm hoping the pups will wake her inside pup in her..

·
Super Moderator
35,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
First off. Theses girls are smart and learn fast HOWEVER they will not stay in their pen at night! During the day they are good. We take then out several times a day. But at night. They chew right through the cheap ( but costly) chain link pen 😒.
They don't seem to worry about the animals. I think they are good there but do eat eggs and I'm afraid the donkeys will get them. Donkeys take time to accept a dog as ours. So I worry. Last night we had a wicked storm the girls had to stay in a great dane size kennel to stay safe and dry!! Ugh. They did fine. But I don't want the to be so confined. I'm such a worry wart.
Otherwise they are sweet..accept me as boss. They come when called for the most part. I know this will take time and I have to allow them free range to do their job. But I'm worry.
Next week they go to the vet for a wellness check. Shots and hopefully spaying.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
That is the one thing about LGDs, they love to work the night shift. But I’m so glad they’re staying around. At least that means they consider your place home already. That’s amazing.

Are they good with the goats? Do you have a barn you could shut them in with goats at night? I started with a kennel in the barn, not sure if that’s feasible for you.

I shut all my animals in at night, so I have to lure my LGD in the barn with a nightly dental stick. Haha. He otherwise chooses to sleep right outside the open barn door. But since there’s only one of him, I don’t want to leave the barn open or leave him to defend the entire place by himself. (This is why you were smart to get a pair.)

And I’m sure the donkeys are not yet ready for them to be encroaching on their pasture. Though, if they’ve been out, they probably have. Or maybe they somehow know to avoid them. It’s so hard figuring out all the little details you didn’t even consider, like them chewing their way out of their pen. Lol. If nothing else, the Dane crates work fine for now.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts