The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been on the look out for a good, purebred french alpine buck for our FA girls, and today we found one for sale nearby! It's only 20-30 miles from here, and were probably going to pick him up this evening. He's around two months old, he can be reigistered, though frankly I'm not too worried about that, as we never sent in their papers. He's got horns, which may bother my dad a little, but I like them to have horns. I think they look cool. ;) he's also been dewormer, and they were about to give him his CDT shot, lol ( for those of us that have been discussing that) so the only thing to worry about is cocci., which I will be getting him tested for as soon as possible. He's a handsome fella, too, traditional FA color, cou clair.
We were almost done with the new buck pen anyway, and this will give us (or should I say my brother ;) ) the motivation to get it done quickly.
I will try to post a picture of him after we get him. :)
We've borrowed a different buck I think every year since we got our does, because we didn't have a good place to keep a buck, and one time we bought one, but with the intention of selling him as soon as he'd done his job, which he did. So now well finallyhave one for keeps! I'm excited, if you couldn't tell. I love getting new animals, even if they are going to be stinky bucks. :)

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Awesome! Don't we all love those stinky bucks ;) Congrats!!! Will be on the lookout for pictures

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't know yet, it's so hard to fin FA around here, I'll take what I can get. :) I'll let you know when I find out. The lady said she could send in the papers for me, then transfer, so I may not see em for a while.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Ariella!
Well, we just got him home a little while ago. He's really friendly, especially for not being bottle fed. He was a little nervous from the drive at first, but we sat with him a while in the back of the truck, petted him and brought him some water and hay, and he calmed down real quick.
I went ahead and gave him some of my mollasses, water, salt and cinnamon tonic. He didn't like that at all, and tried to spit it out. :p

Then I got my call back from the vet (I'd called earlier with some questions, but he wasn't available-doing a c-section on a cow, lol), and he said to go ahead and treat him for cocci, which I had pretty much decided to do anyway, so then I went out and dosed him for that. He took it very well. He's got a really calm, sweet disposition. I'm glad, because I don't want to be wrassling him when he's grown. :)
The lady is going to send in the paper for me, and we'll be in contact, so everything went very well! Now all we have to do is name him! :)

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
congrats!!!

sounds like you'll have to post a pick of the little guy so we can all (a) drool over him; and (b) help you name him!

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, this is kind of embarrassing... I need some advice.
So we put little dude in his new pen, all good, and we decide to let our Great Pyrenees/Anatolian in with him and see how they got along, because we were going to try to keep the new guy away from the rest of the herd for a while, and didn't want him to be lonely.
Okay, so the dog was just laying there, not even interested in the goat, so I stupidly thought they'd be fine and went to milk with my younger siblings watching the dog and goat just in case.
Well, as soon as I'm out of sight, the dog proceeds to chase the goat all aroud the pen and scare him to death. I think he just wanted to play, but I'm mad at him anyway.
So this new buckling was disbudded, but it didn't take, and he has basically giant scurs from what i can tell. The dog did not bite him or hurt him, but I'm pretty sure the goat butted him or hit his head on the fence or something, and broke both of his "scurs" and they are bleeding. One was bleeding more, so I bandaged it with gauze and surgical tape after I cleaned it. The other seemed to be drying up already, so I left it. He hasn't had his CDT shot yet, I was going to see if the vet could come tomorrow and give all our goats the shots. What should I do?

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anyone? Should I give him a shot, or put anything on his horns, or maybe let nature take it's course?
P.S. I would be posting pics right now, but the stupid camera won't turn on. It's disfunctional, sometimes it'll turn on, sometimes it won't. Sorry, pics tomorrow I guess. :(

·
1,524 Posts
If it were me, I'd just put some sort of medication on the broken scurs and let them dry in the open air. I don't like bandaging goats, especially around the head. I would clean it out daily and put stuff on it, but I would not wrap them. I wouldn't give him anything injectable unless there was some sign of infection. Both of my bucks have scurs and are forever knocking them off. They bleed, I clean and spray stuff on them and they heal up just fine.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
I wouldn't stress him further by giving him an injection now... what I would do however is remove the dog and set him up where he can see the other goats and baby him until he settles down. I would however get the tetanus antitoxin and give it tomorrow, it will provide immediate protection for about a week, in that time you can give him the initial 2 cc dose of CD/T toxoid and booster it in 3 weeks.

·
Registered
31,476 Posts
congrats on your new buck..

I agree with unwrapping it, let it air out...and a tetanus antitoxin shot, my boys have scurs too and boy they can play hard..they do bleed a lot and it can be scary but it wil be just fine..I clean the face if the blood got in his eyes or nose area..but other wise I let it alone..if it bleeds a long time then you can use blood stop...

·
Registered
31,476 Posts
Tractor supply carries them...they are asmall 4 ml vile....give him 2 cc sub Q....just as a procaution...;)..you will need to reboost his CD&T if he had one..ten days after the Tetanus antitoxin..since one will cancel out the other ...

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BTW, thank for answering my "SOS" , Cathy. :) I wasn't sure how long it would take for others to respond. And Liz, of course I took the dog away immediately. I was pretty mad at him and myself, but these things will happen, I guess.
I was busy this evening after I asked y'all for help, or I would've answered sooner.
I went and checked on him tonight, and he's doing fine. I took the bandage off, and it's not bleeding anymore I don't think, though it did bleed quite a bit.
Oh, and I don't think we can put him any closer to the other goats, but he can see them in the distance, and he can definitely hear them! They were "talking" ever since we brought him home. He seems pretty calm tonight, considering. He was grazing quietly when I came out.
I freaked out a bit at the sight of the blood earlier, sorry. It bothers me more when it's one of my goats than if its me!
I'll try to do the pics in the morning.
Thanks again everyone! I'm so glad to have your help!

·
Registered
31,476 Posts
glad all is calm now...im sure that shook you both up...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts