The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out this morning to milk and I noticed that our pregnant doe had a wet back end and amber fluid dripping out. She's standing in her corner and grinding her teeth, it won't be long now!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Sooo exciting!! I want to see baby pics!

·
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
We're having babies this morning!-UPDATE

Wow, what a day. She early labored all day and at 6 she started pushing. By 6:30 she still hadn't had them so I went in. The buck that was up front was presenting correctly but he was huge. I tried for about 15 minutes and called the vet while my husband went across the road to get an experienced livestock guy. The vet told me to have him try for a little while and if that didn't work then he would c-section her. The vet started on his way out there but before he got there the guy pulled a huge buck out of her. It was awful, she was screaming and pushing and they were pulling and pushing. The buck was dead and she delivered 2 identical twins after that. They were both small and deformed, they didn't even have eyes. She was bred about three weeks after she had her last baby so I think that is to blame. The people that owned her last swore that she couldn't have been bred but they were wrong. We're going to dry her up and aren't going to breed her again for a long while. The vet made sure she was cleaned out and gave her lute, pro pen g, vit b, and banamine. She is wore out and just lays there. I got her to take some water with electrolytes and I am hoping in the morning she'll be up and eating hay. The vet said she should be fine as long as she gets up and starts eating and drinking by tomorrow. I hate that we lost these babies but I really don't want to loose her.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'm so sorry for you and her :( you're doing the right thing for her now...sometimes bad things happen and all we can do is hang in there. She just needs time and TLC, both of which you're already giving her. Prayers for her recovery.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Aaaawwwww I'm sorry for the sad ending :(

·
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just went out there and she was up and eating hay and she drank all of the water I had put out there for her. She is walking funny on one of her back legs. It is folded under at the ankle joint and she's walking on it that way. I hope it's from all the trauma that she went through today and by tomorrow she will be walking better. I'm just happy that she is interested in eating and drinking.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Glad that you're seeing some improvement for her. She's probably just so exhausted that she doesn't care how he walks..that's what I hope for. Keep us updated.

·
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks to all for your kind words. She met me this morning at the gate so she seems to be doing pretty well. She walks slow which is to be expected with everything that went on. She's eating hay and drinking normally, she still doesn't want grain. We've decided to keep her long term to ensure that she doesn't get bred too soon. The buckling was really big but we had a doe birth one about that size before so I'm wondering if she has a smaller pelvic area. As far as I know she kidded fine the other two times.

Karen, thanks for the advice. She has to be in pain so I'll be sure to give it to her for three days.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I too am so sorry for you loss. that is so hard, but thank the lord you were there and you were able to get help or she would of been lost as well.

So glad she is up and around that is awesome. Sounds like she needs lots of hugs and treats.

·
Registered
893 Posts
So sorry about the babies and that rough delivery on your girl. Thank goodness she is ok and on the mend though. Sending hugs to you and your girl :hug:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts