Were to get Epinephrine ??

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by CrazyAcre, Jun 22, 2010.

1. CrazyAcre

CrazyAcre New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    I need to order some Epinephrine to have on hand, I don't usually give CDT shots, but I just got a call from woman who purchased a wether from me about a month ago.
    She was at the vets and the vet believes its Tetnus, I gave a tetnus antitoxin when I banded, but I guess that wasn't enough.
    I am so afraid of losing a $400 or $500 goat to vaccince reactions, but this this is the final straw, I feel so aweful that they lost this goat. So everyone is getting CDT shots from now on.
    But my vet will not let me purchase Epinephrine from them.

So I tried vet serv, but can't find it on their site,,, help!!

2. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Adrenalin (Epinephrine) is not something for the "home vet" You have to know how to use it or you can kill an animal in a flash ...be very careful and know what you are doing. This is why your vet would not sell it to you as it is a controlled substance.

3. CrazyAcre

CrazyAcre New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Yes, I know why they won't sell it to me, but my other vet did, but I left it out by accident, and I no longer use that vet.

Also I am extra careful, but if I don't have it, than an animal could die anyways !!

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I don't know of anywhere else you can get it... other than a vet.... :chin:

5. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    It's Rx only now, thanks to all the speed freaks and tweakers out there.. :( Has to come from a vet.

I got a 20ml *shelf stable* vial from my vet. I thought it all had to be refigerated, but nope...really handy to have it shelf-stable, as I can just put it and a sterile pre-tipped syringe in my pocket when I'm out giving shots. I think it was like $10.

Thankfully, I've never had to use it.

6. CrazyAcre

CrazyAcre New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    So pet Serv is no longer carrying this?? I was going to order it a couple of months ago and they had it than.

Also there is something else you can use, but the name slips my mind, as do alot of things as I'm getting older... :(

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I got a shelf stable vial from VetServe back in January, I wonder why they stopped carrying it too.
    I'm sorry the little guy passed, I don't blame you at all for wanting to vaccinate and to want to be prepared just in case an anaphylatic reaction occurs.
    Before I got the epi....mainly due to the fact that I had to use B Comp on a kid, I had figured that I have a few of DH's "EpiPens" around as he's allergic to bee's and if I had a goat go into allergic shock I'd use DH's pen in a pinch.

8. CrazyAcre

CrazyAcre New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Liz,
    I wonder if I am searching for the wrong technical name. For some reason I remember having a hard time finding it on Vet serv before, but found it under a different name..

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Nope..Barb you've not missed it, I can't even bring up the injectible Thiamine I got at the same time as the Epi.

10. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    I have it and got it from my vet. I never give a shot without having a syringe with 2 cc's made up and ready . That way I figure I can guestimate the animal's weight and empty the shot down to the right dosage. I keep the syringe in the fridge with a piece of red tape around it so I don't accidentally use it for something else. When it changes color, I throw it out and make a new one. I've heard if you really need it, there won't even be time to make up the shot.
    Having said that, I've never used it and don't know anyone who has. My vet thinks I'm nuts and says in all his years of giving shots he's only had one horse go into shock one time and came out of it by itself. I'd be curious to know if any of us here have ever had a need for it. I carry an epi-pen when camping as I'm allergic to bugs. I used it once and went immediately to the hospital anyhow. If you ever had to use it on a goat a trip to the vet would be immediately called for as the reaction can come back in spades within a short time.
    So, who's ever had to give it and what was your experience?

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Weird -- cant get anything i ordered from them before -- sorry. Seems they have either limited our accounts or nolonger carry those types of things (BoSe, thamine, epi) very upsetting :(

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Vet-serve got busted for selling rx drugs. I had bought smz about 3 weeks ago and last week I went to order more and couldn't find it so I emailed them - now they can't administer any rx meds they said

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh bummers - thanks for letting us know

14. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    No problem - I ment to post something up - but with everything going on, it slipped my mind - but thank you for posting - it reminded me!

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    love our government controlled world UGH

16. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    I was reading through this going...Bo-Se, thiamine, epi, sulfamethoxazole...how are they ordering all this without a scrip from a vet?!?!?

LOL

Now I see.. :p

Really wish I'd gotten in on the action before they got busted, though. LOL

17. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Well, if you have any friends in the medical field (cough cough), they throw away expired epinephrine (and thiamine and glucose). Expired drugs don't become dangerous, they just lose some of their potency. They only have to keep a strict log of controlled substances such as narcotics. The rest gets put into a regular ole trashbag and taken out to the dump. I have albuterol that expired 3-4 years ago that still works great for a chest cold! :laugh:
    I like the epi I draw up much better than Epi pens. SQ works faster than IM in an emergency.
    If you can't get epi, keep liquid benadryl on hand. It's gross, but medications can also be absorbed very quickly (almost as fast as by IV) through the intestional wall. You can give 50 mg via the rectal route using a syringe if worse comes to worse. :wink: (Works good this way for glucose as well, or syrup if you don't have glucose). I have given Valium to babies having seizures per rectum because IV access is very difficult on the wee ones who are really sick. It stops the seizures very quickly. :thumb:

18. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    I've given it to people in anaphylactic shock and with severe asthma (airway completely constricted). I administered it Sub Q and it worked within 5 to 15 seconds. With anaphylaxis I also gave benadryl with it IV (like what would happen with a goat's response to a vaccine). I never had to redose twice but just monitored on the way to the hospital. It works very well and very quickly.

19. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    So have you actually given epi to a goat?

20. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    No. I have never given epi to a goat, and hope I never do. But I do keep it on hand just in case. :wink: I would expect the goat response to epi would be similar to that of a human, but maybe not. I apologize if it wasn't relevant, but thought it might help. :shrug: