West TN member check in (storm)

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by trob1, Feb 6, 2008.

1. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Horrible storms hit last night in West TN. Anyone in that area check in let us know all is well. Fritze are you and yours ok.

2. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    yea i am fine. it went all around me. thanks for thinking of me. about the only thing i lost was sleep & will make that up today :lol:

3. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    So glad to hear that.

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Glad to hear that you are all fine. :stars:

5. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    GLad to hear eveyone is o.k.

6. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    thanks not something i would want to do often :lol:

7. GSFarm

GSFarm New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Fairview, TN
    Everyone's good here. A girl at school's house got destroyed as well as a neighborhood, but there were no deaths.

8. bee_pipes

bee_pipes New Member

I'd like to remind everyone about the importance of having a weather radio when Spring comes rushing in with its high winds. If you aren't familiar with them, modern weather radios are able to silently monitor your local transmitter and will only speak up when an alert has been issued for your county.

You want to get one that advertises S.A.M.E. technology. I don't recall (or care) what the accronym stands for, but it means you can enter a code for yor county. The transmitters, frequencies and county codes can be found at:
    http://www.weather.gov/nwr/indexnw.htm

We have two of them - one that sits on a table in the bedroom and a portable that goes in the car with me or my wife, if one of us has to travel during inclement weather. We also have small two-way radios (Family band? walkie-talkies) so my wife can keep track of me when I'm out in one of the far flung corners of the property. These also have weather radio/SAME capabilities.

Last night we had a front move through that threw out all kinds of tornados. We were lucky. Some of our neighboring towns and counties were not so lucky. Massive damage in Jackson, a number of semi's tossed around on I-40. A natural gas line pumping station got trashed by a tornado and exploded - the fire could be seen for 80 miles. We personally suffered little damage, our thoughts are with the folks that lost lives and property last night.

The radios can be purchased on the internet. It's a small investment for your safety.

Regards,
    Pat

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I saw the damage that those storms caused and I sure hope you all have come thru with minimal damage and nobody was hurt. Prayers sent for health and safety. I have only ever been thru 1 tornado here and that was when I was 3 years old, I have seen the funnel clouds form and hit towns miles from me , I know how scary it is wondering if you'll wake up in a tree or not.