The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you guys use to keep your barn floor dry and not smelling like ammonia? We got about 7 inches of rain in the last 2 weeks and it leaked in under the sill plate on our goat barn- that plus the urine and it is pretty spongy. Straw just holds the moisture in.

·
Super Moderator
59,745 Posts
There isn't a whole lot you can do when you get that much rain. Maybe try some stall dry or lime and put down some pine shavings. Add the straw on top of that and clean out more often.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am mucking the wet straw out about once a week- I would really just like to get it to dry up. Was thinking about trying some fill sand then straw over the top
i have one doe due to kid any day

·
Amber
1,339 Posts
If ot were me I would muck out as much as I could then put some fans going(i have a big blower style fan) leave it going for as long as you can and then put some lime on the muddy mess and then if your budget allows put down some sand(my budget does not allow for sand) then put put down large flake shavings(you buy them at any feed store or TSC) then you can cover the shavings with straw.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Truck load of gravel 100 bucks what I do

Cheap and will raise it up
Than straw on top that way it will stay dry and everything will stay below the gravel

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
they are locked out of it for about 10 hours a day unless it is raining- but then the doors have to be closed-:whatgoat:
+

Why is that? I'll be the first to admit I don't have this problem very often, but I have been in this position. A few years ago it started raining on the 31st of May and didn't quit until the 29th of June - I'm not kidding. I'm not a big believer in a closed and locked barn because the fastest way I know of to turn healthy goats into sick goats is to lock them in a barn. Leave the doors open, the breeze helps dry out the floor and reduce the odor.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I have a problem with my goat shed getting wet too inside after getting a lot of rain. I just bank all the bedding up or throw it out, put some lime down, let it dry out for a few hours, then put everything back. That always takes care of the smell and wetness :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
what do you guys use to keep your barn floor dry and not smelling like ammonia? We got about 7 inches of rain in the last 2 weeks and it leaked in under the sill plate on our goat barn- that plus the urine and it is pretty spongy. Straw just holds the moisture in.
I had the same problem, 7 goats, 9 inches of rain in the last two weeks. I mucked out the entire barn,sprinkled lime (lots). :) then topped it with straw. I also tried the pallets with plywood on top .Worked great for the goats but I still have to slop thru it for fence maintenance or anything in the lot.

·
27 Posts
We just mucked out our girls sleeping barn after TS Andrea. We keep a fan running from one of the windows starting this time of year so that does help. I concur with everyone else on fans, lots of lime, and pine shavings. We do not use the wood pallets though because the girls have pretty much made craters on their dirt floor for sleeping. We have a small herd.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts