Wet cough and runny nose.

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by CaseIH335, Apr 12, 2018.

1. CaseIH335

CaseIH335 New Member

Apr 12, 2018
    Minnesota
    I’ve been around goat most of my life. Mostly dairy as I was born and raised on goat milk and showed them for4-h. I went about 10 yrs without goats, then I brought in 13 Boer goats to have around the bins so I didn’t have to mow as much so I could concentrate on farming. Long story short I wanted to add more. I bought 9 Boer does ranges in age from 3 months to 6-7 months. I looked the persons operation over good and had no goats coughing of anything. All looked good. Now I got them home and into a pen. Now 2 are coughing with runny nose. However one is the littlest won’t really open her eyes and acts blind. They have been here on sight for over 24 hrs. It just started this morning. I moved them into my heated shop and bedded them down next to the horse pen. I have some high end genetic lamb ewes that were in a pen next to them until I brought them into the shop. I worry about spreading whatever it is. They both eat hay and have drank water. I put electrolytes in the water as I do for all my animals after a move. I traveled 77 miles with them when I picked them up. Any suggestions are welcomed as I like to do my best for the animal. I really only have Agrimycin 200 and Benzapen 48 and electrolytes and some milk replacer and cattle colostrum.

2. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Probably shipping fever. Vitamin B complex and is Agrimycin 200 an antibiotic? Take their temperatures and if it were me, I'd give the antibiotic. (I don't like to give antibiotics for little stuff, but, they were healthy and now are not, so obviously, they have something!)

The little one, wipe her eyes gently with warm water, give her electrolytes to keep hydrated and weigh her and treat accordingly.

I'm sure others will have more info. This is a very helpful site!

CaseIH335 likes this.

3. CaseIH335

CaseIH335 New Member

Apr 12, 2018
    Minnesota
    Agrimycin 200 is A form of Oxytetracycline which is An antibiotic, however it is designed for cattle and swine. I know it would be off label. But all Oxytretracycline is off label for goats. I have no problem doing this as I’ve read a lot of threads about using LS-200 which is Oxytetracycline. I was just torn between Benzapen 48 which is long acting penicillin for beef cattle and Agrimycin 200. I do appreciate your response. Thank you.

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Either one would work but I'd probably use the Agrimycin.