The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built these nice hay stands with fencing wire and last night it stormed and the hay got wet because I had not built a top of it yet. Is there danger in them eating wet hay? I was thinking bloat. I know to remove any moldy hay, but was not sure if wet hay was bad or not. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Not if they are willing to clean it up fairly fast. Wet hay can develop problems fast if it is also humid and warm. My horses will eat damp hay but the goats are much more demanding. Little stinkers.

·
Premium Member
28,343 Posts
if it dries out and it isn't moldy then there is no harm in them eating it.

I had a whole bale that got wet. I set it aside to give to my mom for her garden and the next day or two was nice and it dried out. I didn't think anything of it and my goats got out and started to chow down on it instead of the "good" stuff that i had in their feeder. So instead of wasting it I looked through it and it was fine so I fed it to them. They enjoyed it and I didn't waste the bale.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.