The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have figured out that my little crew of 6 ( 3 standards, 1 milking and 2 medium does and 1 minnie buckling baby) will be ok on browse, hay sort of free choice (dog sleeps in the hay and they eat it whenever he is out).... and grain 4 days a week (I feed when I am home, dairy goat gets it daily on the milk stand)...
Cause we are having the most Winter in 3 years, foot of snow (just last night alone, it doesnt dry up til tomorrow), temps 7 or 8 degress next few nights....

SO what do people do?
Their sleeping area (sort of 3 sided under our porch which backs up onto our garage/ laundry room) is bedded down thick with straw.... but they bring snow onto it, and then it melts and is soggy...
also
saw them eating snow, can they get by that way?
I put hot water on their water container (it holds about 10 gallons but this melted a bunch of it) but they did not appear super interested, this should stay liquid til tonight when temps drop again...
Can animals get by on snow?
I mean the wild ones do right? Just wondering.... thanks in advance, seeking input.....

· Raising Nigerian Dwarf DAIRY Goats, registered wit
3,693 Posts
Our bucks eat the snow. I think they would be fine as long as they have good hay free choice. I would give them grain daily if you could. If they are pasture goats with forage only I would give them grain. Just make sure they have free choice hay and minerals.

· Raising Nigerian Dwarf DAIRY Goats, registered wit
3,693 Posts
Are you having a problem with the dog soiling the hay? If he is maybe you could setthe feeder up higher? Could you post a pic of how you're feeder is set up?

· Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Feeder! HA the hay in garage is 3 bales stacked with another 2 dissembled and loose in the former garbage alcove in the garage... so they stand and eat... DOg is pretty clean (he is sometimes wet from snow but thats about it..)....
I feed grain every AM when I am home 3-4 times a week, otherwise child feeds milker on the stand and the other 5 gets what is left in the bucket.... I will be home Jan1 - 30th so that should take us threw most of the winter I hope...

I have been pouring hot water on the water bucket (its bigger than a bucket one of those black rubber horse feed things) every AM... And family will do it at least every other day....

· Banned
5,939 Posts
And family will do it at least every other day....
If it's cold enough to freeze their water, either hot water or breaking the ice and throwing it out of the water tub has to be done at least once a day. I break the ice or add hot water twice a day. As Karen said - snow is not enough. It takes a foot of snow to make an inch of water.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.