wether acting 'bucky'?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by PiccoloGoat, Aug 19, 2009.

1. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    My friends goat is a wether..
    he is about 6 years old and lately he has been peeing on himself and mounting the other goat.
    he started growing a beard he never had before and now where his horns were, two pink marks are there..

does anyone know why he might be doing this?
    thanks xD

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hmm thats a mystery -- 6 years old you said???

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Did they miss a testicle when they banded? The only way I see he would be peeing on himself is if he still had at least a testicle(s)...OR he might just be one heck of a teaser wether! :ROFL: Other than that....beats me! :shrug:

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow...after 6 years he decides to be a buck...LOL ... :greengrin:

Well... if you have him in with your does and he is the only boy in there ..I guess you will find out.. if any babies pop out.....and one testicle still remains.. :wink:

5. ChestnutGrove

ChestnutGrove New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Tennessee
    Your friend has herself a teaser wether lols - well you should know when the girls are in heat!

Okay - is this something he just started doing? Has he always been around does? Bucks?

It could be a learned behavior (does being bucky around him, living with or around bucks?). If he has not been around does before it could be the does coming in heat are causing it. And it could be he is just a late maturer. Some wethers do do this - I do not know why as I have seen wethers that were wethered at an early age act like this and I have seen mature bucks wethered and stop acting like a buck. I think it just depends on the goat - when a wether acts like that you wonder why did you bother to wether him - but at least he cannot sire kids!

6. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    My wether does act like that also.

7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Alyssa ... its definitely a puzzle but I'm a bit worried about it.

A retained testicle would show up behavioural changes much earlier than this ... likewise if he was going to be a horny wether (I have some of those :roll: ) he would have done it earlier than this.

This isnt normal, shouldnt be happening.

Something has gone haywire in him ... with his age starting to get up there I'd be thinking tumors? etc. The other thing could be something to do with feed, if his diet has been changed, or certain plants in the paddock.

Unless ... unless there have been new goats/sheep introduced near him, including a working male. That might explain it.

But I think that might not be the case here.

Hmm :/

I think maybe a phone call to the vet might be in order, just a chat to sound a few things out. Explain about the sudden behaviour change.

8. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    It is very unusual for him to start this behavior after 6 years--I agree with having a vet take a look at him.

9. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    To answer some questions..
    He was just living with a sheep, wendy, for maybe 5 years?
    And maybe a year or so ago, they got another wether as a friend for him.
    This wether acts really girly. Meaning he just lets Snowy push him around and he is quiet and such.
    We think because Mixer (The newer wether) was a bit 'soft', that Snowy thought he had to 'man up' or something. Wierd explanation but i guess it could be right.

He hasn't been with any bucks his whole life and the same with does. The only girl he is around is the Sheep. Maybe the sheep has something to do with it?