The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All! We are new to goat raising. Our doe (we did not know she was pregnant when we got her) is due within a week or two.
We only have 2 goats...a doe and a wether. We have a separate shelter/barn for our doe when she is ready.
My question is; what does everyone do with their other goats? Do they need to be separated from the kids?
Thank you!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi All! We are new to goat raising. Our doe (we did not know she was pregnant when we got her) is due within a week or two.
We only have 2 goats...a doe and a wether. We have a separate shelter/barn for our doe when she is ready.
My question is; what does everyone do with their other goats? Do they need to be separated from the kids?
Thank you!
does the wether need to be separated...not the mama! Ha ha

·
Registered
896 Posts
If you have a way to separate the mom and wether but still allow them to be near each other, then that might help. Goats are social animals and its best if they can be near each other to keep from stressing them out during separation. Typically I will monitor the mom and new kids a few days to make sure they are thriving, then slowly introduce them back to the herd under a watchful eye. Most of the time, they reintegrate just fine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have a way to separate the mom and wether but still allow them to be near each other, then that might help. Goats are social animals and its best if they can be near each other to keep from stressing them out during separation. Typically I will monitor the mom and new kids a few days to make sure they are thriving, then slowly introduce them back to the herd under a watchful eye. Most of the time, they reintegrate just fine.
We have cattle panels set up temporarily so the goats will still be in the same pasture but separated. Our wether is kind of a jerk so I'll definitely separate them and then keep a close eye. Thank you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts