Wether Behavior - Bucky?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by imaginationacres, Jan 4, 2011.

1. imaginationacres

imaginationacres New Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Virginia
    Hi folks,

I'm just curious if any of your wethers go through rut like behavior? I have 5 wethers and just the one, Tambourine a nearly 2 year old wether has become very buck-like in the fall/winter. He does typical bucky things like try to urinate on himself, gets very amorous to the ladies and so forth. He is definetely neutered, no chance of either testicle being retained and was neutered when he was 6 weeks old. The other 4 wethers will react when a doe is in heat but nothing quite like the show Tam puts on. Tambourine has no buck odor.

Last night I brought home my new buck :love: (Thanks Stacey!) and the wethers share that fence line. Well Tambourine has been over there all morning putting on a big show for Dude (and vice versa) through the fence! Do your wethers act bucky during rut season? Do they stop once rut is over?

2. Myakkagoater

Myakkagoater New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    I had two wethers that were just over a year old when I purchased our herd Sire. They both thought they had to impress him by riding everything they could. I think it is a boy thing.

GL
    Tom

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My wether Teddy acts bucky BUT he was also wethered at 2 years old after being a buck!
    My mom has 1 boer wether and 2 Togg wethers with 2 nigi wethers 4 does...the Boer acts bucky in the fall going through all the motions of a buck, and they are the only goats in a 10 mile radius, it's a dominance thing.

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Yep....out of my 3 wethers, I have one that wants to be a buck! He attempts to pee on his face.....silly boy!

5. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    It is a boy thing.... but they should not do any harm.... that is why they call them Bucks :laugh:

6. SandStoneStable Farm

SandStoneStable Farm New Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Maryland
    Ditto... my wethers let me know when the girls are in heat and one is extremely bucky, but without the buck smell - at least.
    My neighbors had quite a show every 20 days this fall, oddly I had to explain to them what was happening :/
    I waited 5 months to wether at the recommendation of my vet, I always assumed that had something to do with it.

7. imaginationacres

imaginationacres New Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Virginia
    Good to hear that his buckyness isn't something to be worried about and that its typical weather behavior! :) Thanks for the replies!

8. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    I ahve a doe that's bucky - she mounts my little doe all the time when she is in heat.

OI vey.

9. rocky_ridge_goats

rocky_ridge_goats New Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Bill's not very buck at all.. he has that general goat smell, but no urination (he is a white goat, and boy, is he WHITE), so real bucky attitude, he likes to cuddle. Although, he will paw at the ground and stick his leg out. (Like, stick it out in front of him and hold it there, and when I look at it, there is nothing wrong) He's never seen/met any does, so I'm not exactly sure on how he'll react to a doe.