The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thorin my only wether is 7 months old. I’ve been gone for a week and while I was gone a cold front moved in. I wasn’t too worried about it since the goats all have shelters. Well we got back Friday and Thorin is coughing. Yesterday I got him out and took his temp, which was 101.9. I gave him probiotics and B complex. He seemed to do better the rest of the day yesterday.
Well today I went out to feed and he is still coughing, but he is also foaming at the mouth! He had a lot of white foam on the side of his mouth. He ate fine and is otherwise acting ok.
Is this a sign of a respiratory infection? Or pneumonia? Should I start antibiotics? If so, what kind? I have penicillin.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took another temp of him and another doe that was acting off. Thorin’s is 101.4 and the doe’s is 103.0. So his is low and hers is high.
Should I give more probiotics to Thorin? He is still coughing but isnt foaming anymore. It’s like a deep wet cough. The doe isnt coughing but was haunched over and acting sick yesterday. They both were given probiotics and b complex yesterday. Both 7 months old.

·
Super Moderator
32,155 Posts
Could be the buck may have choked on feed? It can be scary and offer lots of foam. Can also cause irritation in the throat. I would listen to his rumen, listen for burps, gasses and watch for cud. Give daily probiotics and some dark beer to boost his flora. Keep tabs on his temp since a tad low.
For the doe..b complex and retake temp. She's with in normal range but higher end so that ca change quickly. Be prepared to start antibiotics if needed.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I’m suspecting Thorin has an infection. He is still coughing and foaming this morning. And he is also very snotty nosed. Wet cough and overall not feeling well. I haven’t taken his temp yet today. About to head back out there to take it.

·
Super Moderator
32,155 Posts
Definitely need temp. What antibiotics do you have on hand? Hows the doe?

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Super Moderator
32,155 Posts
His temp is good. Check his throat for anything stuck. A vet may need to look closer for sticker or thorn. That certainly can cause both coughing and foam.
What color snot are you seeing? Temp is good but if his lungs sound wet and he visually looks to feel bad,...might try a round of penicillin. 1 cc per 20 pounds 2 times a day sub q. Be sure to draw back the plunger before injecting PEN. No blood is good to go. If you see blood..re adjust and try again. PEN in the vein can kill a goat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts