The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Chica051588
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm kind of at a loss. Several years back, I lost a young wether to urinary calculi. It wasn't our first wether, and we had never had issues before, but it was extremely traumatic. It broke my heart, and I vowed to never own another wether. We had his sister for quite a few years, and when we lost her, we decided we were done owning goats, as it was just too hard to lose them.

Well....we all know how that goes. We now have two baby pygmys on the way, both of who will be wethered. We have done our research this time, and know to wait as long as possible to wether them to allow the urethra to grow to proper size, and we know now that we were probably feeding too much grain.

Everything I have read for wethers has specified to get a grain with AT LEAST a 2:1 calcium to phosphorous ratio, with added ammonium chloride and vitamin A. Sounds easy, right?!

Definitely NOT the case. I cannot find a food that meets these specifications. It's frustrating, and we have delayed picking up our babies because I cannot find a food I'm happy with. Any suggestions as to brands you guys use for your wethers? I'm beyond frustrated and I'm not jeopardizing my babies with cheap food. :tear:

·
goat girl x0x0
2,478 Posts
There's other stuff you can do too, i think ACV in the water a few times a week can help, and Ammonium chloride. Also I think having more salt encourages them to drink more water which is good for preventing stones.

·
Chica051588
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Iv never head of that
Can you put some plain salt in their water?
I've definitely heard of the increased sodium encouraging them to drink more, though it's normally done through a salt block, or other type mineral supplement. Everything I've read says don't add it directly to the water because they won't drink it like that, which actually does the opposite of what you want. What is ACV?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I've definitely heard of the increased sodium encouraging them to drink more, though it's normally done through a salt block, or other type mineral supplement. Everything I've read says don't add it directly to the water because they won't drink it like that, which actually does the opposite of what you want. What is ACV?
I didnt even think of salt blocks lol thanks

And i think its apple cyder vineger
Www.Facebook.com/wickedshowchains

·
goat girl x0x0
2,478 Posts
Noo you don't put salt in their water that dehydrates them.
The salt is in the form of blocks that can contain AC as well.

ACV is Apple Cidar Vinegar and I'm not an expert but I hear it makes them like the taste of their water more which makes them drink more eagerly.

·
Chica051588
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Noo you don't put salt in their water that dehydrates them.
The salt is in the form of blocks that can contain AC as well.

ACV is Apple Cidar Vinegar and I'm not an expert but I hear it makes them like the taste of their water more which makes them drink more eagerly.
Oh, duh! I knew that. My brain isn't working. Yes, everything I have read said the ACV helps acidify the urine as well. From everything I've read, it says rougly 1/4c per gallon of water and to make sure it stays fresh. That I can handle. I actually already bought some from Walmart, and will be picking up bigger bottles at Costco on our next trip. And if it also helps the taste to encourage them to drink more, even better!

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Oh, duh! I knew that. My brain isn't working. Yes, everything I have read said the ACV helps acidify the urine as well. From everything I've read, it says rougly 1/4c per gallon of water and to make sure it stays fresh. That I can handle. I actually already bought some from Walmart, and will be picking up bigger bottles at Costco on our next trip. And if it also helps the taste to encourage them to drink more, even better!
Dont worry... I looked it up! Hahah

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,072 Posts
My wether has done very well on this diet, he is one year old this April:

*Free choice grass hay
*1/4 cup alfalfa pellets once a day
*Manna Pro minerals (has ammonium chloride)
*Water with added Apple Cider Vinegar

None of this year's kids ever had grain, only alfalfa pellets. All grew very well. I only feed him the pellets to make sure he has enough alfalfa, but only 1/4 cup so he doesn't have TOO much. :) My buckling is being fed the same ATM.

·
Chica051588
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep :thumbup:
I don't think pet wethers really need grain, just good hay and some pellets.
My veterinarian did say while they are growing, they do need a small amount of grain, especially because we are wethering late (probably around 5 months, instead of 4 - 6 weeks). She also said that the information I had about good grain was correct, but I can't find it. :tear: Stressed does not even begin to describe what I'm going through to find this food. We actually delayed getting them. It was supposed to be Sunday for an Easter present to ourselves, but it's not happening until I have everything I need to bring them home. Thanks for all the suggestions guys. When I have them home and get pictures, I'll post them so you guys can see who stole my heart. :D

·
Chica051588
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My wether has done very well on this diet, he is one year old this April:

*Free choice grass hay
*1/4 cup alfalfa pellets once a day
*Manna Pro minerals (has ammonium chloride)
*Water with added Apple Cider Vinegar

None of this year's kids ever had grain, only alfalfa pellets. All grew very well. I only feed him the pellets to make sure he has enough alfalfa, but only 1/4 cup so he doesn't have TOO much. :) My buckling is being fed the same ATM.
Do you free choice your minerals?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts