The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just today I noticed my 12 week old wether has some bald patches on his legs. Some parts look completely bald, some parts look like the hair is just thinning. Any thoughts? Both my goats itch a bunch which could be part of the reason. My dad thought of dusting them with diatematious earth to see if that did anything. Betty (my doeling) doesn't have any bald patches, but she seems to itch and twitch more than Timmy does. I’m worried it’s something I may be doing wrong, so if anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated. If we can’t find any other ideas then we’ll take them to the vet ASAP.

·
Super Moderator
32,215 Posts
Is skin soft and pink or angry and crusty looking? Itching could be lice. I don't recommend Diatomaceous earth as it's not effective and very drying. Look closely through their hair for small grayish bugs. They can be pretty tiny so take your time. If you see lice I recommend Cylence as its safe for pregnant goats and babies. 1 cc per 25 pounds down the top line..booster in 10 days and again in 10 days.

·
Super Moderator
32,215 Posts
I see you're not in the states? So you may not have Cylence there. Le me know if that's the case and we can help find other solutions available to you

Reactions: MadHouse

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is skin soft and pink or angry and crusty looking? Itching could be lice. I don't recommend Diatomaceous earth as it's not effective and very drying. Look closely through their hair for small grayish bugs. They can be pretty tiny so take your time. If you see lice I recommend Cylence as its safe for pregnant goats and babies. 1 cc per 25 pounds down the top line..booster in 10 days and again in 10 days.
Skin looks pretty normal to me, a little pale and flaky but not anything painful and red. I checked them both over for lice and couldn’t see anything.

·
Super Moderator
32,215 Posts
Could be he needs zinc. Do they have access to a quality loose mineral? Are both a bit flaky? Loose hair from shedding can cause them to be pretty itchy. My goats are shedding right now and man they are rubbing hair off on anything they can manage to rub against. Lots of brushing can help. I have been giving zinc to several of mine with balding noses and heads.

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could be he needs zinc. Do they have access to a quality loose mineral? Are both a bit flaky? Loose hair from shedding can cause them to be pretty itchy. My goats are shedding right now and man they are rubbing hair off on anything they can manage to rub against. Lots of brushing can help. I have been giving zinc to several of mine with balding noses and heads.
They do get loose minerals, but not sure if they eat it much. We have it in a bucket that they can take free choice of, and sometimes give them some pellets with it sprinkled on top. The doeling has always been really itchy. She twitches a lot, but I made a post about that a while ago and it seemed to be fine so I let it be. I’ll give her a scratch and she doesn’t seem to lose much hair. The wether on the other hand loses quite a bit when I pet him. He’s bigger and older though, so that may be the reason.

·
Super Moderator
32,215 Posts
Try a week of zinc on him. See how he does.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
@happybleats , did you see these are kids 12 weeks and younger? Could they really already have zinc deficiency?
Last year my kid was itchy a lot. I used VetRx over the topline. It seemed to help some.
It could be mites, but most miticides shouldn’t be used on kids. You could try rub some coconut oil on the itchy spots.

Reactions: Kaitlyn

·
Super Moderator
32,215 Posts
Good question. I did see that but didn't think to much on it. If mom was low on minerals then babies can be born deficient as well. With hair loss, pink skin and flaking..I first think zinc. 🤔

·
Super Moderator
32,215 Posts
Won't hurt. Adult we give 50 mg daily for a week then based on how they are. I like using the dropper but can use human pill broke. Maybe a 1/4-1/2 pill based on his weight. There is also a product called Replamin plus. It's a mineral paste with zinc in it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts