The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 2 wethers they are brothers the one was castrated via vet at 10 weeks old (George) and the other banded at I believe 4 months old (Loki). George is very docile and sweet. Loki is sweet but much more "bucky" neither have extensive hair growth like our bucks do and I've never seen either pee on themselves. However we had them in with our does and when my one doe was in heat about 2 months ago Loki wouldn't leave her alone. The thing is I haven't seen her return into heat in 2 months. Usually she's a very obvious girl when in heat so I'm wondering if some how he could look like a wether but have retained a testicle maybe. Would his hair have grown out if he did or would he pee on himself like a typical buck tho? She has never been around an intact buck so the only option would have been one of the 2 wethers if she was bred.

·
Registered
Nigerian Dwarf goats, Mini Nubians, Poultry
436 Posts
Our first goat was supposed to be a whether. He started out looking and acting like a whether pretty young, but eventually started to try and mount our doeling and was blubbering and spitting like a buck. We were told it was fine, whethers do sometimes act like a buck but just not to the extent that bucks do.

well.. fast forward a year, and now he is completely covered in hair with a huge beard and horns. Pees on himself all the time to the point he started to burn his legs so we had to step in and wash him as much as possible. Thankfully that has stopped now, but he is most definitely not a proper whether.

Point is, I would give him some time to see if he changes at all. Keep him with his buddy for now and keep an eye on your doe. If he does start changing, then you may have your answer. If not, she couldve just been less obvious about it the past few times! I know my Luna is sometimes obvious, and sometimes you can barely tell a difference. It really depends on how strong the heat is I think.

I only got goats last year so take this with a grain of salt! I’m no expert, this is just my guess.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Our first goat was supposed to be a whether. He started out looking and acting like a whether pretty young, but eventually started to try and mount our doeling and was blubbering and spitting like a buck. We were told it was fine, whethers do sometimes act like a buck but just not to the extent that bucks do.

well.. fast forward a year, and now he is completely covered in hair with a huge beard and horns. Pees on himself all the time to the point he started to burn his legs so we had to step in and wash him as much as possible. Thankfully that has stopped now, but he is most definitely not a proper whether.

Point is, I would give him some time to see if he changes at all. Keep him with his buddy for now and keep an eye on your doe. If he does start changing, then you may have your answer. If not, she couldve just been less obvious about it the past few times! I know my Luna is sometimes obvious, and sometimes you can barely tell a difference. It really depends on how strong the heat is I think.

I only got goats last year so take this with a grain of salt! I’m no expert, this is just my guess.
He and his brother have been in with our bucks now for the last month. We had 3 does due to kid and Loki was to rough with the girls always having to be the dominate one. I just haven't seen her cycle again. I keep looking for it and if she's bred it isn't a big deal I have his papers and can register him easily and she is large enough and has never kidded before but she's a good age and size. Just more curious if he is why no hair or pee yet. Her having not returned in heat has me wondering if his behaviors mean more then just being a "wether".
Does the doe typically come into season once every 21 days year round?
Yes about every 3-4 weeks repeatedly. She's a nigerian so it's constant with her breed.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Strange… it was my understanding that if he’s banded so no sack for testicles to hang out in, the temperature of the body is supposed to be too hot for the sperm to survive.
There was even a study done on steers to see if the extra testosterone would help them grow better be leaving a teste up inside.
So I’m confused if he did indeed breed her- please let us know when you know for sure!
Acting Bucky due to the testosterone is understandable. We missed a teste when banding last years goats. The wether was chittering at the girls and chasing them, the billy was chasing him away from his ladies. But I never saw him pee on himself.
The saleyard did separate him and sell separate from our other wethers. Probably due to his hair ridgeline. He did bring a bit more $$ too 🤷🏼‍♀️

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,542 Posts
The thing is I haven't seen her return into heat in 2 months.
Pregnancy status can be confirmed by a blood test, an ultrasound, or waiting out the remainder of the gestation. A vet could possibly examine the wether and determine if a testicle remained. There would be a small surgical procedure to remove the testicle if one was detected if this was a choice to be considered.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Strange… it was my understanding that if he’s banded so no sack for testicles to hang out in, the temperature of the body is supposed to be too hot for the sperm to survive.
There was even a study done on steers to see if the extra testosterone would help them grow better be leaving a teste up inside.
So I’m confused if he did indeed breed her- please let us know when you know for sure!
Acting Bucky due to the testosterone is understandable. We missed a teste when banding last years goats. The wether was chittering at the girls and chasing them, the billy was chasing him away from his ladies. But I never saw him pee on himself.
The saleyard did separate him and sell separate from our other wethers. Probably due to his hair ridgeline. He did bring a bit more $$ too 🤷🏼‍♀️
Yeah I'm watching her to see it would still be to soon to feel babies if there were any and maybe she just had a quiet heat or too but I find it odd that she hasn't shown signs of heat in a long time now and the last time he was so all over her and then no heat 🤔 😅

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pregnancy status can be confirmed by a blood test, an ultrasound, or waiting out the remainder of the gestation. A vet could possibly examine the wether and determine if a testicle remained. There would be a small surgical procedure to remove the testicle if one was detected if this was a choice to be considered.
If he did retain a testicle it wouldn't bother me at all he was supposed to be a breeder but we had an issue on our property and gave him to a friend to watch for us and they banded him by the time we got him back it was to late. If he is still breedable we would just continue to let him live with the other bucks like he is now.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
If your goats are seasonal breeders and you live in the northern hemisphere, it is quite possible your doe has just quit cycling. Mine quite cycling February/ March and won't start again until the fall. You can always send off a blood test 30 days after you last saw her heat cycle, too, to test for pregnancy. Just for peace of mind.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If your goats are seasonal breeders and you live in the northern hemisphere, it is quite possible your doe has just quit cycling. Mine quite cycling February/ March and won't start again until the fall. You can always send off a blood test 30 days after you last saw her heat cycle, too, to test for pregnancy. Just for peace of mind.
She's a nigerian so they breed like clockwork every 18-28 days they have heat cycles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts