The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a ND boy at about 4 months of age. He was castrated by burdizzo when I picked him up on June 26 ( I watched them do it, as I was curious to learn about the method. They talked me through what they were doing and it matched what I read online). We’re 2 months later, and he’s acting awfully bucky: chasing the does in heat, making the buck noises, peeing on his face/legs, and he is now bullying my buckling, not letting him eat or go near the girls (the buckling is the same age - 6 months, but a much nicer gentleman to the ladies). I’ve seen the wether fully “extended” as he’s sniffing the girls. I’ve not seen him successfully mount/penetrate a doe. His testicles look a little smaller to me than my buckling, but he is a slightly smaller goat.

I’ve read on here that it can take a while for the hormones to wear off after castration, and that wethers can still exhibit some doe-harassment during heat cycles, but this seems more extreme than I’ve read.... Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
sometimes the burdizzo dosent take, if he was done the end of June he should not have the bucky attitude right now, it has bean almost 2 months (dosent take that long for a young buck) IMO it didnt take, he would need to be banded

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sometimes the burdizzo dosent take, if he was done the end of June he should not have the bucky attitude right now, it has bean almost 2 months (dosent take that long for a young buck) IMO it didnt take, he would need to be banded
Thanks - that was my sense from reading, but I appreciate a more experienced opinion!

·
Premium Member
4,757 Posts
I purchased a ND boy at about 4 months of age. He was castrated by burdizzo when I picked him up on June 26 ( I watched them do it, as I was curious to learn about the method. They talked me through what they were doing and it matched what I read online). We're 2 months later, and he's acting awfully bucky: chasing the does in heat, making the buck noises, peeing on his face/legs, and he is now bullying my buckling, not letting him eat or go near the girls (the buckling is the same age - 6 months, but a much nicer gentleman to the ladies). I've seen the wether fully "extended" as he's sniffing the girls. I've not seen him successfully mount/penetrate a doe. His testicles look a little smaller to me than my buckling, but he is a slightly smaller goat.

I've read on here that it can take a while for the hormones to wear off after castration, and that wethers can still exhibit some doe-harassment during heat cycles, but this seems more extreme than I've read.... Thoughts?
Well... if you are runnin him in with the does and he is actin like this... you most likely have some bred does now. Would be my guess. Even if you have not seen the deed you are not there 24/7. From what i understand the beans will shrivel and go away. If they did the burdizzo correctly i think he should not be doin all those bucky things.

I think @Jessica84 has done burdizzo before. Maybe she can help more.

·
Fair-Haven
4,836 Posts
I burdizzo only - you can see a shrinking of the testicles and hear a crunch when the cords are crushed correctly. Do you have a pic of his boy parts to share?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts