Wether Peeing Blood

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sweetgoats, Dec 17, 2007.

1. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Ok, my sister has a wether that she has for her horses. They are the BEST of BUDS. I have NEVER seen a animal protect like they do. Anyway I went there for the Holidays, and I thought I would get the CDT to give him also.
    Anyway the kids came in and said that he was peeing rust. Well I told my sister to get some ACV out and we would give him some. Well I did the shot, trimmed the hoofs, and we gave him some ACV. He is fine and acting like nothing is wrong. OK, but he walked away and he peed BLOOD. I could not believe it. It was not rust now it was blood. dark red. Well I cough him again and felt around and he is a little swollen under his tummy, but it was not wet, and he was not in any pain at all. He peed just fine, other then it was blood.
    can someone please help? Oh, he is fed NOTHING at all but grass hay. The horse does not get any grain at all, so the goat does not get any either.
    I am so worried that it is UC, and if she losses this goat, I do not know what the horse will do. When we were treating the goat (pony), the horse came in the stall and nudged me away from him. They are true best friends.

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Sounds like he may have stones in the bladder or one heck of a Urinary Tract Infection. I would try to catch some urine and take it in for a urinalysis. Best way to do that is take a coat hanger and undo it - make a small loop at one end, where you can put a baggie around it to catch it in, and then follow him around to try and catch it.

I would start with that first, and if the UA is ok - then you know that it is stones.

Good Luck!

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    A Urinary Tract infection was one of my thoughts as well.

OH I do hope he is ok

4. mystic's_mom

mystic's_mom New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Northern, MN
    I would definitely take in a urine sample and have them run a test on it; you could be dealing with UC or a serious UTI...both of which will be treated differently.

5. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    A few years ago we had a weather do the same thing! We sent in pee samples and everything was just fine with him, the vet and I just could not figure it out. Come to find out there where several different plants in the yard that can cause them to look like they are peeing blood but it is just a discolortation of the pee. Is he in pasture or in a pen with the horse? But with his belly being a little swollen I am think infection...